Nitrites and Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2watchfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently upgraded my fish from a 36 to 60 gallon tank, it has been a week now. I used the water from the established tank, which was about 1/2 of the tank then added water for the remainder. I use Seachem Prime with the new water. I have done 3 water changes since Saturday as my Nitrites and Nitrates are high. Is there anything else I can do at this time as they are still a little high. The fish are swimming and eating and don't seem to be having any problems. Any suggestions to bring down those levels? Or is this a waiting game.

Thanks

Water changes as you are doing. Dose with a biological booster such as seachem stability. Using filter media from your old filter or sponges would have been the most beneficial thing you could have done. Beneficial bacteria doesn't live in the water, so using old tank water in the new set-up wont have transfered much. If your old tank is still running it might still be worth using some of the media.

Thanks Aiken for the information. I switched to a canister and ran the old (over the back) filter for a couple of days, I guess I should have let it stay in a little longer. I will do another water change or would you recommend doing the booster now.

2 or 3 weeks is the norm for running them in parallel.

When you say nitrites and nitrates are high, what are they? Are you seeing ammonia?

I would do a pretty large water change, maybe a couple back to back. Try to get the nitrite below 0.5ppm and then add biological booster.

Here are my readings from Petsmart

6/29/2020 Nitrate 40
Nitrite .5
Ammonia .25
Did a big water change after this

7/2/2020 Nitrate 40
Nitrite 1.0
Ammonia .25
Did another water change that evening

7/4/2020 Nitrate between 2.0 - 4.0
Nitrite between 1.0 - 3.40
Ammonia 0