Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to BrutusPleco
Nitrites and PH all outa whack!!!

I did a regular water change yesterday of 7 gals. Approximately 25% of my 29 gal. tank. Today I check with the strip and WOW. Things are bad. So do a partial change 3.5 gal. Then shortly after that did the liquid tests for PH, Nitrite, And Nitrate. Now:

Nitrate 30 Which it never gets below 20
Nitrite 25 Which it has been at 0
PH 7.6 usually is around 7 - 7.2

Aweek ago added 1 large SilverDollar and an unidentified fish which looks exactly like a Cherry Barb but is Dark Orange. Tested water 2 days later and things were fine. BTW, after doing todays water change all fish seem to be very happy. My black neons which have been at the top of the tank for a week are now mid tank! I hope that is good news. This is what is in my 29 gal tank:

2 Plecos 1 - 6inches, 1 - 7inches
4 black tetras
6 neons
2 Julii Corys ADORABLE!!
1 large SilverDollar
1 Possible Cherry Barb that is ORANGE!!

I believe I am at the max for fish in this aquarium. But I am cycling a used 35 gal. that Silverdollar And Mr Mystery came in so I can put them back into it and winter my Plecos that I have in a pond outside.

Sorry I'm so gabby!! I am sure I have been overfeeding the fish in this tank, But honestly I do not know how much to feed them. I suppose less is best.
I really don't know how much additional food to feed the plecos as there is not too much algae on the tank. I have been giving them supplemental feeding once a day at dusk of steamed spinach but probably giving too much as there is certainly alot of pleco poop in there in the morning.

BTW, I also have live plants in there too. Some planted some floating. So sorry for the length of this.Any help would be appreciated. I will cut down on fish food.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
You need to do a major water change (50%) to get those nitrites down, those levels are very dangerous. The bad water quality is likely the fault of the two large pleco poopfactories.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to BrutusPleco
Nitrites and plecos

Should I do that today or wait til tomorrow. I'm so worried about endangering the and stressing the fish more. Kind of a catch 22!
Old 07-17-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
Yes do it today, and if the nitrites are still high tomarrow change the water tomarrow too. The stress of nitrite poisoning is much greater than a water change.

Tags
nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com