Nitrites are giving me high blood pressure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jag5440

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My ammonia is almost at zero and my nitrites keep spiking. They have been spiking for about a week or so and I keep doing 50% water changes. Can anyone tell me an average time for the nitrites to go down? I'm trying to see the light at the end of this very damp tunnel.

My ammonia is almost at zero and my nitrites keep spiking. They have been spiking for about a week or so and I keep doing 50% water changes. Can anyone tell me an average time for the nitrites to go down? I'm trying to see the light at the end of this very damp tunnel.

Is this a fish-in cycle or a fishless? In a fishless cycle, the TYPICAL time for nitrites to go down is 3 weeks. That being said, every cycle is different. My fishless cycle took 4 months :)

If you are seeing 10 to 20 ppm of nitrates, then your BB are starting to work on the nitrites. Good! If you don't disrupt anything with the bio part of the filtration, you will probably start seeing nitrites start to lower within, at most two weeks. Keep checking about every other day. Luck, OS.

Then you're nitrates should start spiking soon, and you should see a reduction in nitrites. Have you tested you're tap water to make sure?

Yea the tap water is fine. The ph and nitrites spikes again not even 24 hours after a water change. Frustrating lol.

Back
Top Bottom