Nitrites not going down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nyquil Junkie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a follow up question best posted here... So..

For the details of the tanks past, refer to this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/the-jbj-submariner-and-pea-soup-green-water-110056.html

Ok I have attained crystal clear water, the Ammonia reading has dropped to 0, the nitrate level is at 10, but the Nitrite level has stalled at between 1 and 2 ppm, the colors are so close its hard for me tell 1 from 2.

I also added 10 bunches of anacharis plants to to the tank.

I tried to knock the nitrite level down with a 50% water change, it didnt change it at all.
so a day or so later I dis another 50% water change.

The nitrite test is still the same color.
but the ammonia dropped to 0 and the nitrate dropped to between 5 and 10, (dang colors).

Is it possible my nitrite testing bottle chemical is bad?
One would think 2 50% water changes would have reduced the nitrite reading with the ammonia and the nitrate.
It didn't.

Any suggestions?

id check your test kit... i remeber i was pulling out my hair like you were. thinking how the f is my nitrite up.... why am i so dumb can i not see something here... yep i was... got a new test kit... turns out i was at 0 ppm.... go figure eh

-Brad

It takes a while for the nitrites to drop. Just be patient. Your tank has only been up 10 days.

I second what jonnythan said, be patient. I bet in another few days you'll see the nitrites start to drop. I would keep up on PWCs with your current stock of fish. Remember, doing all these PWCs to lessen the chances of harming your fish actually slows down the cycle process.

If this hobby teaches you anything it will be patience! :)

I picked up a new test kit for nitrite today, my old one is way off.
I tested my tap water with the old one, then the tank, then another tank I keep plants in.
As I figured they all read nearly 2ppm.

I used the new kit and the fish tank reading is actually .50 and the plant tank is 0. My tap water is not quite 0 but not quite .25
The old bottle says its 2ppm.

I'm going to assume the fresh new kit is right since I've had the old kits bottles for a few yrs now.

.50 is better than 2.
I'll assume with the new readings with the new kit the cycle is progressing better than I though, 0 ammonia 10 nitrate and .50 nitrite.

:p

much better readings, someone once said "Nothing in saltwater is fast" Best statment i ever heard. keep us updated, i look forward to your developing tank.

Back
Top Bottom