Nitrites stuck!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Castillo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my BB can process 5ppm of ammonia in less then 12 hours but my nitrite level won't go down. I have been doing 50% water changes weekly and Have a Eheim 2213 filter.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So my BB can process 5ppm of ammonia in less then 12 hours but my nitrite level won't go down. I have been doing 50% water changes weekly and Have a Eheim 2213 filter.

Thanks!

How much ammonia would you say your tank has processed in total?

No idea a few weeks worth... It's also a heavily planted tank.

No idea a few weeks worth... It's also a heavily planted tank.

Well 1ppm ammonia is equal to 2.7ppm nitrite so if you have dosed 10ppm ammonia in total that's 27ppm nitrite. The test kit only reads up to 5ppm so it's probably coming down slowly. No more ammonia :)

When I cycle a tank if the nitrite goes above 5ppm the test kit doesn't change any deeper in colour. I dilute the water with enough of a water change to bring it back down to 1-2ppm and then add ammonia back to 4ppm. I believe that a very high nitrite reading can also give a false nitrate reading so keeping your nitrites lower will also give you a more accurate idea if the nitrates are rising.
Also, as the nitrite to nitrate bacteria develop slower than the ammonia to nitrite bacteria you are asking a lot to process in excess of 20ppm of nitrite.
It could take well up to 90% water change to bring nitrites back to a 'readable' level, that's why I then re-dose the ammonia back to 4ppm.
I hope that all made sense :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well 1ppm ammonia is equal to 2.7ppm nitrite so if you have dosed 10ppm ammonia in total that's 27ppm nitrite. The test kit only reads up to 5ppm so it's probably coming down slowly. No more ammonia :)

^This is why on the fishless cycle I learned once you detect nitrites you only dose 1/2 the amount of ammonia you were dosing every fourth day.
I agree no more ammonia for at least 4 days.
You can dilute your test and then multiply the results if you need to know what level your tank is at,but just waiting a couple days is easier.
A proper fishless cycle should never need a water change IMO.(Until completed and then to set nitrates at safe level).

^This is why on the fishless cycle I learned once you detect nitrites you only dose 1/2 the amount of ammonia you were dosing every fourth day.
I agree no more ammonia for at least 4 days.
You can dilute your test and then multiply the results if you need to know what level your tank is at,but just waiting a couple days is easier.
A proper fishless cycle should never need a water change IMO.(Until completed and then to set nitrates at safe level).

+1 no need for water changes if done correctly. I would be more inclined to dose just twice. Once at the beginning and once at the end. Both ways would be better than continuously dosing though. Perhaps we could alter the sticky slightly to stop all these fish less cycling problems?

Back
Top Bottom