Nitrogen cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baobeiiiiiiii

Aquarium Advice Regular
Nitrogen cycle and how can I get my water optimum.

Hi,

My tank situation:

Basically my new 10 gallon tank was cleaned out and filled with bottled mineral water, brought up to temperature (26c) and a new very small wattage (200L/h) filter was added. The filter was extremely cheap, and I believe it probably only has some sponge inside, no activated carbon. It does however release oxygen into the water , through a small clear tube that protrudes out the top of the tank. There's currently no plants, just a 36w 10000K fluorescent lamp that is currently on 24 hours a day (but I will be adding a timer to it soon and shooting for 8-10 hours a day on time). That might seem like too many watts per gallon, but I did some research and apparently smaller tanks need more watts/gallon for good plant growth. There is also a soil substrate on the bottom of the tank, which is from japan and contains nutrients etc. There won't be any plants in the tank for at least 3 to 4 weeks as i'm growing all of my plants from seed and then transplanting them into the soil. This is my second attempt with this tank, I had quite a few tetras and they all died and got white spots after about a week in the tank.

Then 4 fish were added, two corydoras and two Siamese algae eaters. By 'then' I mean about one hour later just as soon as the water got up to the correct temperature.

I tested the ph of the water and it is 7. I also bought a KH and GH testing kit but have yet to use them, as i'm not sure what values I should be looking for. I'm concerned about ammonia build up and how to get a 'nitrogen cycle' started.

My question is, how can I establish a healthy nitrogen cycle in the tank? I have a bottle of nitrifying bacteria but have yet to add it to the tank (it was produced in February this year, arrived non-refrigerated but I just put it in my fridge in-case that helps before I open it). Is my filter so cheap/useless that it won't contribute to such a nitro cycle? I couldn't find a more expensive/better filter that has such a low wattage.

I just want to keep the water healthy so the fish don't die (don't want 'new tank syndrome'), it's early days yet, this all happened about three days ago. Thanks for advice.

PS: the two photos are of a kind of rock i'm going to be adding for aquascaping, anyone able to identify the type of rock, and if it would alter water qualities in any way which should concern me?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 47
I believe the "sponge" in your filter is capable of housing the bacteria youre looking for. Just be sure that you DONT replace it monthly, but instead put it and some tank water in a container and swish it around to dislodge the big stuff. Dont use tap water to do this as you will likely kill the bacteria.

If the sponge looks like its on its last legs, then place a new filter in next to it for a month or two to allow it to build up its own bacteria.

Wow? lol is that a good wow or a bad wow, I got it online from the biggest online shopping site in China called taobao. Basically it's being shipped from central china to where I live in Shanghai.

I also got some black volcanic rock, but i'm not sure if it is good for a freshwater aquarium, or if it will aesthetically match the rocks pictured in the post above. However I think I need to get some rocks in their soon, perhaps the nitrifying bacteria i'm about to add can 'stick to it'. My main concern about the volcanic rock though is that the corydoras might 'hurt themselves' because it is quite rough.

Attachments

• T2hCFRXehXXXXXXXXX_!!88296509.jpg
    T2hCFRXehXXXXXXXXX_!!88296509.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 45
Ok while still looking for advice on how to go about doing the nytro cycle properly, i've ordered three additional things,

API nitrite, API nitrate and API ammonia testing kits.

All I know at the moment is that ammonia changes to nitrites (both bad for fish) and then nitrites change to nitrates (not as bad, but one should change water to lower this). I'm guessing there will be some ammonia in the tank already as it'll be four days by now that the fish have been eating etc.

I'm looking for rocks for my 10 and 20 gallon I may go look around in the forest tomorrow

Did API ammonia and nitrite test,

ammonia was 0.5ppm,
nitrite was 0ppm.

So what now? Here's some pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0355.jpg
    IMAG0355.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 48
Should do a minimum 50% PWC to get the ammonia down below .25ppm.

Anytime Ammonia or Nitrites get above .25ppm then your fish are in danger zone.

No no no! You have no fish yet correct? You have to feed your beneficial bacteria you don't want to starve them. You need an ammonia source.

Back
Top Bottom