NLS Cichlid Formula Feeding Frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. Today has been the 3rd day I've been feeding my 12 electric yellow cichlids the new life spectrum cichlid formula 1mm sinking pellets...

They seem to love the stuff and I have only been feeding them as much as they can eat in 1 minute each day...

My 12 cichlids range from 1-1.5"

How often and how much should I feed them? Should I skip a day? I read a little NLS goes a long way because it's rich... I want to keep them as bright and healthy as possible..

Also one of my yellow labs seems really faded out (this is how I got him) ...can I expect him to get bright yellow like the rest from the NLS formula? How fast have you guys seen results in color coming out in your fish? I might be imagining things but they seem to be a bit brighter today :)

Thx everyone!

Mike

Is it true since they're juvies I should feed them twice a day? Or is every 2-3 days best? Considering I do not care about being conservative about my NLS pellets.

i'd feed them twice a day if they are juveniles.

I don't know about the color thing. I can't really tell a difference between the fish fed primarily NLS versus the ones I feed high quality flake variety to.

One of the nice things about NLS and pellets in general is that they have much more density than flakes so the fish gets plenty in just a few bites. I recall reading on the NLS forum that they don't recommend feeding flakes (nls flakes) to larger fish because they have to eat a lot more to get the same amount of nutrition.

Thanks for the tip on twice a day... It's the advice I've been wanting to hear since I really enjoy watching them eat (as I am fairly new to the hobby)...

Last questions)

When are they finished with their juvenile stage? At about 3"? They're 1.5" on average right now...

Also when can I sex them? And how do I sex yellow labs? Thx so much guys u are all very helpful and I love this forum and iPhone app :)

Venting is the only true way to sex fish, but it's stressful on the fish and takes some practice. Here are some pointers but not always accurate.

Males black stripes are much bolder than females. Also broader.
Females tend to have a bit of white on their bellies whereas, the male's yellow is much deeper, solid or richer if you will.
Males have a black bar on the eyes right across their "pupils".

Determing Your Cichlids' Gender

Back
Top Bottom