No air for the fish at night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, i got a snazzy air pad thing for my tank about a month ago, but i turn it off at night, they fish are happy with it, not gasping for air or anything, although i do only have 8 fish in the tank (45gal), anyways my plants are dieing :roll: but i am still getting lots of new shots, as the plants grow and cover the tank will there be enough air for them, i am hoping that the filter will move the water enough for it, as i am over filtering the tank like crazy, as i have a 180L tank with a fluvel 405 that is for a 400L tank? Is this enough movement in the water and surface to get away with not having a air pad thingy???

Ty for the help.

plants use carbon dioxide during the day and oxygen at night. in a heavily planted tank you want the airstone on at night to oxygenate the water for the fish. the airstone does nothing for the plants during the day.
you might want to put a detailed post in the planted tanks forum with the specific number and size of plants you have and the symptoms - it could be that you don't have enough carbon dioxide during the day, they can help you understand CO2 injection.
start out with the stickies in the planted tank forum, which will also help

You do not need the airpad as your filter is providing enough water movement to keep enough oxygen in the water. The problem with using the air pad in the day, is that you are driving off CO2. I would discontinue it's use.

Back
Top Bottom