No ammonia nitrites or nitrates help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UV does NOT have to be run 24/7. FACT It will NOT kill parasites in the aquarium water---unless they pass through the sterilizer. FACT As previously stated the green water will not come back if the cause is rectified.
Probably 75% of aquarists do not run UV and have no problems. If a tank is balanced, and maintained properly, and new acquisitions are properly quarantined there will be a very minimal amount of problems.
Using UV to try and stop problems before they arise is not good advice in my opinion. I would think eradicating the causative agent would be more advantageous than running UV continuously to mask possible future problems.

One point to consider. Yes your "perfect tank" is perfect until you add more plants or fish from a source that is not as perfect as your perfect tank. UV has nothing to do with hiding BAD fishkeeping. Its like car insurance. If all were perfect drivers, we wouldn't need it. OS.

The thing I read about the mustard pleco says it grows to about a 9" max and is usually only about 6". And I bought an airstone today gotta wait until Tuesday for the uv thing they only had the $100 one for 125 gallon tanks.

Also what did I do wrong to cause this algae bloom? I did water changes daily

Usually its too much light left on too long. Couple that with too high nitrates and phosphates and it can really be bad. Cut your light period to no more than 6 hrs until you clear it up. Follow Rivercat's advice and keep your plants healthy with good carbon and balanced ferts so they can out compete the algae. The UV sterilizer will help you get back to square one but you still have to address the cause. Good luck, Os.

Yeah I was running my led light from 5-8 am depending when I left for work up until 10 pm... I don't have plants yet I wasn't sure how to do plants I was gonna add java moss but not quite sure how to take care of it...

An angelfish wouldn't work well with the black skirts right? 3 of them are long finned and I don't ever see them nipping the fins of the glofish black skirts or vise versa. But I've heard they would be too tempted by the long flowing fins of the angel.

A inline uv MUST be run 24/7 FACT

for one most have a change build indicator is you turn it on and off all the time how will you know when it's been used for 6 months

Two if its a inline and you run it with the uv turned of you get a build up on the quartz sleeve

You guys who say you can turn it on and off have no idea what you are talking about

I can't use any cooper based meds for my rays so as stated it insurance

An angelfish wouldn't work well with the black skirts right? 3 of them are long finned and I don't ever see them nipping the fins of the glofish black skirts or vise versa. But I've heard they would be too tempted by the long flowing fins of the angel.

I have mixed results over the years with keeping Skirts with Angels. I found the long finned skirts tended to be less nippy if at all with angels but that is still no guarantee they won't nip. It just all depends on the fish. Plus it depends on the Angels temperament also. I had a ram would used to think the angels long feelers were worms and the ram would swim up under the angels and suck a feeler up just like it would a worm. Well lets say that didn't last long because the angels got enough of that on about the 3rd try and chased that ram all over the tank. I mean really chased. It never caught the ram but made a good enough impression that the ram no longer did it. So basically you can "try" it but be prepared to intervene if necessary. Also in this instance I would try finding an angel with the body size at least as big as a quarter if not larger.

A inline uv MUST be run 24/7 FACT

for one most have a change build indicator is you turn it on and off all the time how will you know when it's been used for 6 months

Two if its a inline and you run it with the uv turned of you get a build up on the quartz sleeve

You guys who say you can turn it on and off have no idea what you are talking about

I can't use any cooper based meds for my rays so as stated it insurance

In this instance the UV the OP is getting isn't an inline. So your comparing apples to oranges.

In line UV's run the most efficiently when used 24/7 which is different than it having to be run 24/7.

It's easy to track how many days a portable or temporary UV is being used. I'm old school and have a note book for each tank although I don't have any UV's such as the one the Op is getting.

All UV's get a build up even when run 24/7 and have to have maintenance to keep it running in optimal condition just as any piece of aquarium equipment.

This is a forum where everyone has the right to their own opinions so it's rather rude to tell people they don't know what they are talking about since that is just your opinion.

Copper med's along with a lot of other meds can't be used in planted tanks which many people on here run, including myself and don't feel the need to have a UV as insurance. Again it's just an opinion as to what you feel the need to do which is fine.

This has gotten way off topic for the OP and in all seriousness really needs to be put to rest. We all have our own opinions on a lot of things and I've yet to meet anyone in this hobby that knows everything including myself.

When I said I have been keeping fish for over 25 years I meant I have been keeping fish properly for over 25 years

Yes I was keeping fish like goldfish and mixing the wrong types of fish like hard water soft water and brackish water fish long before I would call it keeping fish properly for over 25 years

Some and most of the fish I have now I have had for over 8 years some rays was born in my tank

Some of my fish I have grown from 2" to 30"

I have been running uv since the 80s and since that time I have never had anything that needs treating with meds

The uv is insurance as most of my fish are to big to move to a sick tank

The internal uv you are talking about are rubbish

You can buy cheap inline uv on eBay second hand for about £20 all the parts that can brake or need replacing are also cheap £4 for hose tails £12 for quartz sleeve

A uv is a very good bit of kit and once set up to a canister filter with the right flow rate only need maintenance every 6-12 depending on what tube you buy

I wouldn't run a tank FW or sw without a uv

Well I just purchased the uv today and it is now running along with the air stone I purchased yesterday. Can't wait for my water to clear up and on the bright side my little tank for my rescue Betta just finished cycling today.

And no matter the argument I can't thank you all enough. This is my new forum without a doubt

I'm sorry if I come across a bit harsh but I backup my claims with my tank

If something works I will back it up if it doesn't work I will say so

The internal uv do work short term but they are not very well made

I think the ones we get in the UK are called the green machine or something like that

Back
Top Bottom