No cant be a cory cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaPony87

Aquarium Advice Activist
While spending the weekend at a friends house in a diff part of the state I went to their petco and was looking about. That is when I noticed this gigantic cory cat. I thought that all cories maxed out at around 3 inches or so but this thing was a BEAST! I put my guess at 5-6 inches long and and was equally as large in mass. It was labeled as a green cory but it just seemed to big to be one

yeah i think through inbreeding theres always a deformity. i think thats the deformity for that batch

Actually...it probably isn't a deformity. There is a very close relative of Corydoras known as Brochis that has a tendency to be a bit larger than most Corydoras (though I've never heard of one being more than about 3 inches). There are also a couple of fairly large species of Corydoras like C. barbatus which can reach 5 inches or so but they don't usually look like the 'green cory'.

I agree that it's probably not a deformity.

My LFSes carry the large species of corys all the time.

I have a female bronze cory that is larger than 3" and I have seen larger cory's in the past. They do start to look a little less "cory cat cute" at the larger sizes.. :)

Large Corys

Endgame319 said:
Its likely Corydoras brochis like fruitbat said. I see them all the time at the LFS, they're really neat fish.

Hi. I believe the name is Brochis splendens. I have a few pushing 4 inches that are couple of years old. - Frank/Guppyman

Back
Top Bottom