No electricity for <1 week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long Post sorry.
Oh no! I have just been informed that maybe our electricity is going to completely be cut off on the 7 June for at least a week, could be up to 3 or 4 weeks. It may not actually happen but the chances are not looking that good. Im gonna have to use lotsa candles, study and do assigenments for exam block by hand, have cold showers and wash my hair in the sink, etc. however we will have a small gas stove for cooking, but the gas will not be allowed to be wasted so i cannot use it on fish tank.

The main thing i am concerned about is the heating, more than the filtration and the plant. Without filtration I could still do water changes regularly, and i would grudgingly let go of that one sword. Right now it only gets really cold at nighttime and early morning. otherwise it is reasonably a good temp in the 20degrees range.

Even though this unfortunate event may not actually happen, I thought i would better get lotsa advice beforehand just in case it did happen, as i would not be able to consult Aa on my computer. :(

I have two dwarf gouramis and a juvenile BN pleco.
What can I do to keep my fish alive in terms of heating? I know i could put a few candles around the tanks and wrap it up in blankets. I was thinking about taking my fish to the lfs and ask if they could look after them temporarily but i don't know if i can trust them...

Any advice on this and extra tips on keeping water quality etc?

Power out for 3-4 weeks!! The most I've ever had power out was for two days. There was an article in the June edition of TFH. It said if you can't use a generator, then you can boil water and put in a bag then placing the bag in the tank. The heat will slowly transfer from the bag to the tank. Another thing you can do is boil water and do a PWC taking out cold water and adding in hot water.

Good luck!

A battery operated air-stone is also a good idea to replace the surface agitation you would lose.

For heat, you can cover the tank with a large comforter, especially during those hours when the temp drops.

Is their a valid reason for the power outage and what plans are being announced? You could lose your plumbing since most water is pumped by electricity or hydro plants somewhere along the route.

Well, it sort of embarrasing and very disturbing but due to my parents' financial probs, the electricity company may cut our electricity if we can't fix our finance probs. They will then put it back on again when the probs are fixed, but i don't know when t hat will be.

Very sorry to hear that. :(

If it gets reasonably warm during the day, you might be able to put some pots of water outside to warm up (since you said you don't want to use a lot of gas) and then use that for your water changes.

One concern I have with the boiling water is the temperature swing, even if mixed with part cold water.

Try going to your LFS and explaining your situation, maybe they can temporarily watch over your fish for you untill your family can get everything back to normal.

only thing i read was the suggestions of candles and blankets. From personal experience to not mix the two..... fire....... Good luck. Is there anything any of the AA members could do to help? Any members nerby that could look after the fish or someone from a local aqua club maybe? Hope it all goes well and just let us know if we can help!

Thanks all for your concern. Our situation still is not is not looking too good. Im glad that the only fish that will need oxygenation is prob the pleco, as gouramis are labrynth fish. I think I will try and get the lfs to look after them.

Sorry to hear about your situation blucat.
Hopefully things will work out for you, your family and your fish.
Good luck.

Here in the US, most electric utilities will not turn off your power over late payments if someone in the household has a documented medical condition that requires electric equipment (nebulizer, heart monitor, air purifier, etc). Also, they can't turn off the power if your home heating system is electric. Ask your parents to check the local laws and the utility's policies.

I hope everything gets straightened out, but just in case, I would suggest making arrangements to have a friend or lfs take care of your fish and plants.

I dont meen to be stupid but wont you local store house fish for you if you like leave a deposit, i will be leaving my fish at my local store when i go on holiday for two weaks.

Guess what! there was some comprimisation and the company is not cutting off electricity!!!!

Back
Top Bottom