No Guarantees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33miles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok...After two failed attempts to keep fish in the past, and getting frustrated because the fish kept dying, I stumbled on this site and purchased a new tank and did the fishless cycle. Two months later, the tank was cycled. I added 3 black neon tetras and one cory cat (followed the acclimation guide on liveaquaria.com). 5 hours later, one of the neon's died and less than 48 hours later another neon died. This is really starting to pi$$ me off. Guess I'll start a rock collection.

So let's run thru the list.

What equipment do you have?
How did you cycle?
How did you maintain after?

That gives a good starting point

So let's run thru the list.

What equipment do you have?
How did you cycle?
How did you maintain after?

That gives a good starting point

It's a 10 gal. tank with an aquaclear hob filter.....100w heater....water temp is at 75. I cycled with ammonia purchased from Ace (no surfactants). I'm testing with an API Master Test Kit. After the tank was completely cycled, I sustained the bacteria by dosing a little less than a 1/4 tsp. of ammonia daily. Also, I checked to make sure the levels were 0 about 5 hours before I added them....and they were.

Thanks Cap'n!

The cat and other tetra are fine?

The cat is doing very well....he is active and i've seen him eat. The last tetra standing is swimming well, but I have not seen it eat yet and it's been in there 3 days.

It was weird, when they got in the tank, two of the neons would school constantly and one would hide (my guess is he was sick to begin with becaues he was the first one to go). Then after the first neon died, the two remaining broke up and then one started to hide and then it too eventually died.

Sounds like you did everything right. Could be too many to fast.

What's your PH? are you checking anything else besides ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Whats the nitrate reading?

Sounds like you did everything right. Could be too many to fast.

What's your PH? are you checking anything else besides ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Whats the nitrate reading?

PH is at 7.4....nitrAte is around 5 ppm.

I agree, it sounds like you did everything by the book. It could be that your LFS isn't getting in quality livestock.

Also, how did you acclimate the fish? Drip?

Neons are rather fragile fish... so good stock in the first place is important.

Also, how did you acclimate the fish? Drip?

Neons are rather fragile fish... so good stock in the first place is important.

I acclimated them per the instructions on liveaquaria.com...Floated the bag for 15 mins. Opened the bag and created an airpocket for them to continue to float. Added 1/4 cup of tank water to bag every 5 mins (they say 4 mins) untill the bag was full. Dumped half the water in the bag and repeated the 1/4 cup thing untill it was full again. Netted the fish into the tank from the bag.

I have found Neon tetras to be very hard fish to keep. I think that the quality of the livestock varies widely by breeders. Some just dont last. Same with Ottos.

If I were you, I would keep it up and give it a shot with a fish that is noteably more hardy than hit and miss neons.

I have found Neon tetras to be very hard fish to keep. I think that the quality of the livestock varies widely by breeders. Some just dont last. Same with Ottos.

If I were you, I would keep it up and give it a shot with a fish that is noteably more hardy than hit and miss neons.

Thanks jcarlilesiu...oh i'm gonna keep it up. What about some dwarf gourami's? I've been thinking about getting some of those later on. Are those a pretty hardy fish?

Any other suggestions?

Dwarf gouramis I think are pretty hardy. I have never had any, the fiance thinks they are ugly!

I have had lots of luck with the following fish which are comparable to neons:

-Rasboras
-Mollies
-Platties
-White Clouds

Its tough sometimes when fish don't make it. I used to get really frustrated when my clean up crew, my ottos, used to die. I always was like "What am I doing wrong!". Then I realized maybe its not me and got some SAEs and they have lived years.

Don't get down on yourself... it is nature afterall, and sometimes there are weak litters or over breeding going on.

^ What he said. Neon's are not a good fish to start with. THey do better in tanks that have been mature for months. They can also keel over because they were not acclimated correctly.

Cat's are very easy to keep. But, the poor thing is lonely. After you figure out what your doing with the tnak, purchase another 4 so he can have some freinds. The neon's ( if you ever decide to get more), hate being in small groups. They are more of a 6 fish per group as a minnimum type of fish.

^ What he said. Neon's are not a good fish to start with. THey do better in tanks that have been mature for months. They can also keel over because they were not acclimated correctly.

Cat's are very easy to keep. But, the poor thing is lonely. After you figure out what your doing with the tnak, purchase another 4 so he can have some freinds. The neon's ( if you ever decide to get more), hate being in small groups. They are more of a 6 fish per group as a minnimum type of fish.

Yeah it's tough having only a 10 gallon. I guess an upgrade is in the near future. :D

You can easily have another 4 corries in your 10g. No problems. A group of 10 tetra's and 5-6 corries is a great addition for 10 gallons. Maybe even a few shrimp.

Yeah, i'm kinda worried about having so few fish in there right now. Should I be doing anything to keep the bacteria from dying off until I can get some more stock?

As long as their is a fish in their, the bacteria will still be alive, just not alot.

The only thing to keep i mind is that you will only have enough bacteria in the tank to support the fish level that you have. That's why you don't add alot all at one time. As you add a fish or two the bacteria need time to ramp up to the new load.

Remember the bacteria are alive and only as many survive as can be fed by your fish waste. More fish means more bacteria need to be cultured, so you need to add slow and give it time.

Back
Top Bottom