No idea how this got here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hylywytt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Found this little guy in my tank no idea where it came from or how to care for it I think its a snail

ForumRunner_20130401_071757.jpg

Yuppers, that looks to be a pond snail. You just keep doing what you are doing and he will take care of himself. Did you get any new plants or decorations lately? He might have come in on one of those

They are tiny tiny when they are babys, you might even have gotten a group of eggs,

Group of eggs is most likly cause theese things are multiplying I had one yesterday and 4 today 2 of them are on each other doing something weird

make sure you dont have any others because if you got a male and female they'll multiply extremely fast. get rid of them as soon as posible

make sure you dont have any others because if you got a male and female they'll multiply extremely fast. get rid of them as soon as posible

The snails are not a bad thing, they are part of the ecosystem the OP is creating in there aquarium.

The snails are not a bad thing, they are part of the ecosystem the OP is creating in there aquarium.
Uhm, I read that if you let them be, there can be hundreds of snails within a month or two? If not, then a lot.

What should I do if they start multiplying to a large #

If you decide to keep them, you could always use a fish net and squish some from time to time if that does not make you squeamish.

I found ONE pond snail in my tank. Took it out and put it in a large vase that has been home to a Peace Lily for the last ten years. The vase was completely green from algae. Within a few weeks almost all traces of algae are gone. No other snails in the tank or vase. Just one fat happy snail.

The snails will grow on the extra food and algae in your tank, so if that is stable then the
will grow to fit the need, if you dont
want them , then squish them when you see them

So? they wont get out of control? what happens when they eat all the algea and stuff and theres not a need for so many I know nothing about theese guys and couldnt really find much on them

i have 3 assassin snails in my tank, i still see pond snails here and there but they do a good job of keeping the population in control

Pond snail populations will explode if there's a lot of extra food lying around and so forth. Typically if you don't overfeed they won't get too out of control. If that happens though there are lots of simple DIY techniques to manually remove them. Assassin snails are also good at keeping the population in check, as long as you don't mind the empty shells they leave behind.

Also, just thought I'd note that pond snails are asexual so you only need one to create more babies.

Back
Top Bottom