No Luck with Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffergirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im just curious if anyone has had this problem. Seems everytime I purchase new guppies from one of my LFS they slowly die off, one by one. Now, I have a tank of guppies that is doing fine as the parents gave birth before they died and now their young are all grown up and living a happy healthy life! I'm thinking this occurance is because the adult guppies in the LFS are already old, or just really weakened by so much inbreeding that they can't handle the stress of travelling and adapting to a new environment. Anyone else have this happen?

Guppies

Hi puffergirl,

There are many reasons why you experience your LFS guppies slowly dying. There are raised by the millions in cramped quarters. The are given medications to hold down disease and hormones to promote rapid growth. They are shipped in large quantities which increases stress and illness. Rarely will they breed and they will never breed true, as all the various strains are mixed together.

The genetics is a tricky issue. By itself there is nothing wrong with inbreeding. Guppies can tolerate it for many, many generations and this is, of course, how fancy guppies are developed in the first place. It's unfortunate, but most lfs's consider guppies a "garbage" fish. They pay at most 25¢ per fish, usually much less and don't feel that they are worth the trouble that goes along with selling them. It's rare that they live for 3 months. This is fine with the lfs owner as he gets to keep selling them over and over, usually to the same people.

It's unfortunate that there isn't an alternative to the $3.50 to $5.00 per pair lfs guppies and the $35 to $50 per trio charged by "show quality" fancy guppy breeders. Most people are looking for something between those two choices. It is one of the reasons I started my business. My goal is to supply local shops with extremely high-quality fancy guppies that retail for $15 to $20 a pair. That may seem high, but it is a fair price for a true-breeding, healthy pair of guppies that should live for at least a year and produce hundreds of healthy fry. Will they win "shows?" No. Is that what you are looking for? I doubt it. Will you get guppies that will bring you long-term enjoyment and pride of ownership? Yes, they will.

To expect to pay less for that type of quality is unrealistic. We get what we pay for - that's a basic tenet of life. If you keep buying crummy guppies from your lfs, they'll gladly keep restocking them. "Just say, no!" - Guppyman

Guppies

Platylady,

That's because no American breeder believes there is a market. I have a local shop selling my males, no females - for $13.95 per fish. I thought $9.95 would be the max - but I have been proven wrong. One guy bought 6 at one time. Go figure! - Frank/Guppyman

Wow Frank, I had no idea about all that. A VERY informative post, thanks. I would gladly pay that much for guppies if I knew they were bred and raised in a higher-quality manner. It is really sad to think the LFS thinks of them as "garbage" fish.

I would gladly pay that for a nice healthy guppy if it was going to live long and be happy. I'm just getting depressed with the guppies from my LFS. I'm done purchasing them there now. One thing I did just recently try is purchasing some feeder guppies while they were little and they are doing great! They look nice and healthy.

Hey...I have had the same exact issue...I managed to get 2 fancyg uppies though that have lived...one male and one female. I bought a handfull of feeder guppies from the same store...doing perfectly fine. They breed like crazy too. Apparently my LFS guppies suck. Oh well...the 2 I have will hopefully breed soon.

Back
Top Bottom