No Males? All Females?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher2011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We just bought and set up our 10G tank yesterday and picked up some fish today. They look to all be females to me, but I really have no idea. I've googled my face off trying to figure it out but I really have no idea.

Here is what we have in the tank:
Red Hi-Fin Platy
Yellow Tuxedo Platy (I think this one is definitely a female)
Silver Lyretail Molly
Black Lyretail Molly (this one seems a little fatter than the silver one and has been acting weird up until an hour ago)

If anyone can help that would be great :)

I agree. It will be a huge pain doing daily pwc's and with a fish that has that high of a bioload, I don't think it's possible.

Yeah 29 gals minimum for mollies. They can get up to 5" and they create mass waste. Here's some photo's to help you sex livebearers. Keep in mind, even if you get all females, they can already be pregnant or holding sperm so you can still end up with babies.
Femalelivebearer.jpg
Malelivebearer.jpg

Since you are so early in the process and have picked up fish that aren't suitable for a 10 gal anyway, I would highly recommend you take all the fish back, purchase a liquid master test kit and bottle of pure ammonia, and start a fishless cycle. Otherwise the fish are likely to die in the cycle anyway. The fish stores don't want you to know this (often) because it helps them sell more fish.

And welcome to AA! We'd love to help you through this process :)

Thanks everyone!

By the looks of it they are all females. They never said that the mollies would get that big. Now we are not looking to start breeding, though I knew that they could all ready be pregnant.

Going to be calling them tomorrow to ask lots of questions. Will be showing this thread to the husband as well, again thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom