no more ich!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brq07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
yay! i have been ich free for over a week now!! getting more fish for my tank tomorrow from my brother in law (he's had them quarantined for me) since he is redoing his tanks. right now i have 3 neons and a dwarf pleco in my 10 gallon tank. i know i can't get much more in there. hoping my hubbster will let me get a bigger tank in addition!!

Grats on getting rid of the ich! (y) I'm just about done with it in my reef myself.

What kind of dwarf pleco do you have?

Would you mind posting a picture? I've never heard of a plec that would fit in a 10g

That's kind of a personal opinion, I don't really think it is for a pleco, that hangs on walls and plant decor.

The bioload kinda limits your other stocking options though. One bristlenose in a 10 gal would be at least 2/3 of your stock.

I'm guessing the fish in question is a bristlenose pleco. Make sure you give him a good hiding place and some driftwood to chew on.

That's kind of a personal opinion, I don't really think it is for a pleco, that hangs on walls and plant decor.

A personal opinion shared by most people. Not even taking size into the equation plecos have absolutely massive bio loads rivaled only by gold fish. While plecos may hang out on the sides of the tank and the substrate they still require far more space than a 10g has available.

The bioload kinda limits your other stocking options though. One bristlenose in a 10 gal would be at least 2/3 of your stock.

I'm guessing the fish in question is a bristlenose pleco. Make sure you give him a good hiding place and some driftwood to chew on.

That was what I ment, a 5 in,pleco can live in a 10 gal, with few other small fish. I personally have over filtered ( if there is such a thing) and do a 25% water change every other day, so to me it is pretty doable.

With that reasoning I could put a pleco on a 5g tank. Bottom line, putting a fish into a tank that is too small for it will cause stress, weakened immune system, and stunted growth.

But if you don't believe me on the tank requirements for a pleco then please, by all means create a post on the forum asking about putting a pleco in a 10g tank and see what others have to say.

With that reasoning I could put a pleco on a 5g tank.

To be fair, the bioload would be too much, which is not the case for a 10 gal. You CAN put a BN pleco in a 10 gal, but like you said it's not a good idea. It's a gray area that I would rather not enter.

My advice: If you really want a pleco, don't get a 10 gal. If you really want a 10 gal, don't get a pleco.

I was not saying it would be perfect or ideal, but could work, as stated a grey area.

i was just told by my lfs that he is a dwarf pleco, he would be fine for a 10 gallon tank, he is only an inch and a half right now, he's quite young, so he is fine in my 10 gallon tank. i am in the process of getting a larger (30-35 gallon) tank, so the 10 gallon will not be his forever home.
this thread was to celebrate getting rid of ich!! no offense but i wasn't asking for advice. i feel like berated or something for having a dwarf pleco in a 10 gallon tank. i may be a newbie on this forum and to tanks but i'm not naive and i have done research on what is proper for my tank, as well as asked my lfs which has been in business for 27 years. my tank is not over stocked and again, i'm in the process of getting a larger tank. i hope i don't come off as being rude, i don't mean to at all.

There was no berating meant to you at all, it was just a disagreement between another member and I. Trust me, disagreements happen quite often around here, it happens because we care about fish soo much (probably too much bordering on craziness) :) but they are for the most part well meaning and over just as quickly as they started.

Also, again congrats on getting rid of ich. Its truly a pita parasite and almost the sole reason I haven't bought any new fish for a while. Heck, I just got rid of it myself (hopefully)

One last thing, most of us find this out the hard way but 95% of LFS are there to make money. I've shot myself in the foot multiple times because I blindly listened to a LFS' advice that I thought I could trust. I adopted the habit of going into shops and asking some questions that I for sure know the answer to. It will give you a good idea of what their intentions are as well as how experienced they are. With fish shops that have been in business for soo long some of them tend to have outdated information which is the case for my saltwater lfs.

oh yes i have taken all of that into consideration :) i just got the pleco for the ten gallon while he's so small. since i am getting a bigger tank very soon (my early birthday present :) )
There was no berating meant to you at all, it was just a disagreement between another member and I. Trust me, disagreements happen quite often around here, it happens because we care about fish soo much (probably too much bordering on craziness) :) but they are for the most part well meaning and over just as quickly as they started.

Also, again congrats on getting rid of ich. Its truly a pita parasite and almost the sole reason I haven't bought any new fish for a while. Heck, I just got rid of it myself (hopefully)

One last thing, most of us find this out the hard way but 95% of LFS are there to make money. I've shot myself in the foot multiple times because I blindly listened to a LFS' advice that I thought I could trust. I adopted the habit of going into shops and asking some questions that I for sure know the answer to. It will give you a good idea of what their intentions are as well as how experienced they are. With fish shops that have been in business for soo long some of them tend to have outdated information which is the case for my saltwater lfs.

That's a fine birthday present! :) My first tank upgrade was into a 29g from a 10g hex. Then I ended up trading that 29 straight up for a 55.

Back
Top Bottom