No more Petsmart bashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was in Petsmart today. Boy did the tanks look good. They had about 8 tanks of fancy goldies that were awesome. Clean, lively happy goldfish everywhere. No swim bladder problems, fin rot, lethargy. I was impressed. I have about 10 LFS's within a half hour drive, and they have two, maybe three goldie tanks with some sad looking fish in them.

They also had great looking aquatic plants too. I hope its like that at all the petsmarts, but if not, this one is great.

I wish mine was like that.. Got a two sunset wag platies that had ich -- One died within 3 days so i returned it to get another... that also had ich. --
Also when i was getting the platies the guy kept losing them on the floor. took him seven tries...
Heh >.<But the goldies were cute.. almost made me want a CW tank specially the celestials..

the petsmart by me actually has some really good people staffed in the fish section...i have noticed great care when maintaining the tanks...

when i was buying my cichlids, yeah, i got them at petsmart...the employee asked me a million questions about my tank...water temp, ph, kh, gh, nitrate, nitrite, what decorations, lighting, etc...i told him the few figures i did know, went some and got a sample of my water for him to test it...he wanted to make sure that they would be happy....and they definately seem to be...i applaud the employees at that petsmart...truly happy with the service from there...

Ya. the Petsmart around me is really good too. I bought all my fish from my 10 gal from them and they're all very healthy. I've never seen one dead fish in any of their many tanks. Tanks look pristine. Only thing is, if you're buying African Cichlids, you may want to try a breeder or lfs, because the ones in Petsmart may be hybrids. Although, they look very healthy nonetheless.

The petsmart nearest to my house is great too. Bought an angel from there before, it didn't last, but....

There tanks are always clean, never any dead (except the rosy reds) and always people there to help.

That is good to here. I am an employee in the fish department, and it is good to here some good things. my store is always well kept, and we do our best to tend to all the fish. just glad to here that other stores are also doing well

i went to a lfs the other day and seen a whole tank full of goldfis that were dead or dieing, not just a couple but the whole tank i couldnt belive they let it go that bad.

The Petsmart where I live doesn't have the greatest tanks, so I always go to my LFS for fish. I do have some I've gotten from there though, and they have been very healthy. I've also gotten some plants from Petsmart that I've been happy with. I shop there for supplies because they will price match internet ads if you print a copy and take it in there, so I get Big Al's prices for stuff without paying shipping. I mean, I would love to buy filters and other supplies from my LFS and support local business, but I got my Emperor 400s for $36.99 each and they are $99.99 at my LFS. 8O

I like their adoption program too- I went in there for fish food one day and came home with a healthy, beautiful 8 week old puppy that gets along great with the dog I already had. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I forgot the 14 day guarantee for fish at petsmart, no questions asked. No water sample needed. My LFS gives me 7 days as part of the "fish club" but tests my water first. And if your dead fish got gnawed on post mortum, no replacement at the LFS. My LFS gets fancier fish, but petsmart sure seems to be making an effort.

We have 2 within 10 miles of house- one is well maintained & as clean as a whistle- everything is healthy. I'd buy there w/ confidence.
The other store? I wouldn't buy dog food there. It's filthy, dead fish in multiple tanks- cloudy water- 1/2 of the tanks always have a sign on glass "NFS- under observation". They should move the sign to the entrance door IMO! I occasionally stop by to see if things have improved.
We have several LFS around here. Most are old stores- probably same tanks for 20-30 years & look it. LFS is no guarantee of better fish stock. One store has the worst tanks I've ever seen. Went in last week to get test kit & look at fish- had some big angels for sale for $12.00 ea- good price- except their gill cover was gone & they were all infected & bloody looking! Such a deal! We have 1 good LFS & I pretty much shop there exclusively. But I'm always on the lookout for that must-have fish.

Back
Top Bottom