no more tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well, i had been told that in a big enough school... tiger barbs and angels MIGHT be ok... so i thought I would give it a try, but at last... it did not work... I noticed some of my brand new baby angels were having some tattered looking fins :( so back to the fish store went my 6 albino tiger barbs and 5 regular tiger barbs. I think i will stick to cory catfish and serpae tetras :)

I heard tiger barbs were nippy - but this confirms it.

So what fish are tiger barbs compatible with??
also, are ALL barbs nippy (rosy, green, etc.. )

The rosy barbs aren't as bad, but they get pretty big... I used to have some long fin rosy barbs. As far as i know the green, albino, and regular tiger barbs are all pretty nippy, and im not sure about cherry barbs.

Barbs are fine with most tank mates as long as they aren't long finned like angels... and if they are in larger groups they usually don't bother the other fish, but i guess all my baby angels were just way to much to resist, and i am more focused on my angels than any other fish right now....

i gave my neighbor 5 tiger barbs and she has them in a 30 gal tank with about 7 jui angels and they get along fine, the most they do i make the angels nervous by zooming around chasing each other..

Acer said:
i gave my neighbor 5 tiger barbs and she has them in a 30 gal tank with about 7 jui angels and they get along fine, the most they do i make the angels nervous by zooming around chasing each other..

Ever take a REALLY close look at the angels fins? Im sorry but i am picky and want perfect finnage... It wasn't bad, and they probably couldve survived together, but i noticed one angels tail fin was a little frazzled, and then another had a top fin that was bent... and another ones feelers were suddenly two different lengths... 8O If you had walked up to my tank you would've probably thought it was fine, but I inspect my fish closely every day and i could see the progressive damage, no matter how minor it was.

I was wondering what I was going to do with the 8 tiger barbs in my 58 gal when my 5 baby angels grew out of their 15 gal tank. Now I know for sure - they're going into the 29 gal that I haven't set up yet.

I've heard that angelfish can be extremely nasty toward each other. You may still notice some frayed finnage even though the barbs are history. Lots and lots of plants to hide in is supposed to keep this to a minimum.

My angels are getting near the 4 inch mark or already over it and they are quite frisky, to say the least. I have noticed a little fin damage. I am just hoping two of them pair off because I am going to need to remove two of them soon. I have a lot of plant cover, I think thats the only reason the tank is still working.

Cherry barbs are not nippy at all and are known as the most peaceful of the barbs. I have 6 of them with platies, rasboras, and an opaline gourami.....no nipping issues. They are really sweet and very pretty barbs. I would recommend them for any community tank. :wink:

I had a mixed school of 12 rosy and gold barbs in my big community tank. They left the discus and angels alone. I think the size of the tank may have something to do with it for sure.

Tiger Barbs are EVIL fish. I love'em!!! Yea I learned my lesson with some long fined molly when I was first starting out. EEEK messy!!! 8 Young tiger barbs killed my 4 Mollies one at a time. Man that was a headache. I recently moved all my tiger barbs to a new larger 55G tank from the 29 they were in. And I'm only going to put fish I know can deal with the aggression. I've got 18 of them now and they are fun to watch swim around in one huge group.

Most barbs are not nippy as Tiger's are (Normal, Green / Moss, Albino / Blond). Barbs such as Rosy and most of the larger ones are far less aggressive I've found and can be placed in most community tanks. All Barbs are a little aggressive, but Tigers are off the scale in to small a tank.

Good luck with your new fish. I hope they work out for you better then the Tigers did.

I never had a problem when i kept the rosy barbs, I was not implying that all barbs are as aggressive, and i honestly think they are more playful than actually aggressive, just "nippy" anyway, if i ever keep them again they will definitely not be with any long finned fish.

Back
Top Bottom