No Nitrites after 19 Days! (Fishless Cycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, please help me. I started cycling my tank June 26. It is July 15 and there has been no ammonia drop. How can this be? Cycles are supposed to take about a month and it's been almost 3 weeks with no drop in ammonia! Are there any reasons why this might happen? Here's the rundown of my cycle so far:

Dosed ammonia June 26
Tested ammonia every day, remained 4 ppm maybe a bit lower
My water had been getting progressively cloudier. About a week ago I used Jungle Clear Water. I only used this because it did wonders in my 5 gallon. It didn't work. It made it worse, turning the water greenish-yellow. I did a 100% water change, and redosed the ammonia, closer to 5 ppm. I didn't mean to, but since some people said they dosed to 5, I thought it would be OK. Tuesday I left for vacation. Today i came back, tested the water, and it's still at ~5 ppm. I also noticed that the AquaTech filter I had was just about to completely overflow (like, out of the filter) So I put in another cartridge and put the old cartridge in the tank.

If you see anything that would stall my cycle, please point it out to me. Help would be greatly appreciated. I want to get fish as soon as possible!!!

Well, I tested today and the ammonia seems to be right at/slightly above 4 ppm. So the ammonia may be coming down a little. I hope it starts dropping some more......(fingers crossed)

Back
Top Bottom