Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Noisy Aqua Clear 50. Help.

Last night I installed a new Aqua Clear 50 on my 20 gal.

It has been making this constant rattling sound since the moment I plugged it in. I realize they take time to settle, but it hasn't improved at all.

Does anyone have any remedies? I can't for the life of me understand how the Leveling Device is supposed to work. I assume however it might help when used correctly.

I suppose I'll take it apart and put it back together, but I'd rather avoid that.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
make sure you put the impeller in all the way down and the imepller is full of water if you dont then itll do that

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
My AC 70 is completely silent (I believe they use the same motor, just a different propeller). If you bought it at a store locally, they should have at least a 7 day return policy. AC will gladly compensate them. The last thing they(AC) wants is for their pumps to have a bad name on hobbiest websites (like this one!)

Let us know how it goes!

Otherwise, drain the filter, remove the head, make sure there isn't any plastic debris inside the pump, or attached to the impellor. It could be improperly balanced, causing it to rattle.
5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have a brand new one as well. It is silent. I would take it back and let the store replace it or show you what is set up wrong on it.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been "naugty" too... I haven't shut off my filter since i got it in november... 6 months strong now without a cleaning of the impellor :-| I'll probably do it after exams in early may.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd screw the impeller/motor assembly off and make sure everything is seated well. Basically what sudz said. I've got 6 AC filters of different sizes and all mine are quiet. If the impeller gets off though it may rattle, or it could have some gravel or a piece of loose plastic or something stuck in there. I have heard mine really rattle when a piece of sand got in there.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
The only thing that rattles on my ac 110's is the lid to the tops of them. They come loose from passing so much water through them that it sometimes will rattle them loose.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
I agree, check your impeller.

As for the levelling device, it should sit perpendicular to your tank. The way the device works is as follows. If your filter should become clogged or overflow, with the device in place, itthe overflowing water will follow the outflow channel and go back into your tank, minimizing any damage to your tank's surroundings. Without the device in place, the filter is back-heavy and should an overflow occur, will continue pumping water out the back of the filter at an alarming rate.

For those without the levelling device (I believe aquaclear only introduced it in the last year or so) simply wedge a small piece of cardboard or styrofoam between the bulk of your filter and the rear glass of your aquarium, tipping the filter slightly forward for the same safety net.

HTH,
Tracy

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
tracygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jeese, Thanks Tracy! I found that it was a bit less "rattly" with the pump tilted up (sloped away from the tank. I never thought of the concequences if the filter clogged up!

*readjusts filter *
Old 04-06-2006, 02:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My aquaclear is the quietest of my filters. the complete motor assemply can be removed, along with the impeller and all. if any more problems, jsut disconeet it all and put it back together, making sure to clean it.

Tags
clear, noisy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com