Noisy fluval c3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just installed my new fluval c3 to my tank. (I now have 2 running) and my new one is pretty loud. Solutions please?!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Something could be caught in the impeller. Try twisting the motor part off and cleaning the impeller housing. Mine started making a noise not long after I got it. Someone told me to check the impeller and that was what was causing the noise. You can rub vaseline on the impeller and it will sometimes stop the noise. I had to give up and order a new impeller even though the other one looked all right. Changed that out and it has been silent ever since. It seems some of the come with damaged impellers.

It was loud the second I plugged it in. I'll check the impeller tomorrow when I find time. Do you have any pics you could show me of what to look for or anything?

I had this exact problem with mine. I ended up twisting the motor off and putting Vaseline on my impeller after making sure it was clean. The only problem with this was that the Vaseline would eventually dry up/ burn/ solidify and cause the impeller to seize. So I went into my LFS and got a sml bottle of silicone. I cleaned the impeller and put some silicone on it and now it is noiseless and running. Now I am going to check on it monthly to make sure it is working. I used cotton swabs to clean the impeller with some water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I tried the Vaseline approximately 7 times before it kept seizing, now the silicone has been running well for approx. a month. :)

Here is a youtube video that shows how to fix aquaclear noise problem
How To: Fix AquaClear Filters - YouTube There are several on youtube because this is a common problem. Some of the impellers are manufactured with a defect. You may not even be able to see it, I couldn't. I just took some advice I got on here and bought a new impeller. Once replaced I have had no problems with it. The silicone is a good idea for short term. Is it safe for fish though?

Hey Tommy, how is it sounding now? Have you tried anything? I love my Fluval C3, it just took a while for me to get to know it. :)

Hey Tommy, how is it sounding now? Have you tried anything? I love my Fluval C3, it just took a while for me to get to know it. :)

Had to do a fundraiser all day ( filled 4000 sandbags with my team) so haven't had time to check it out yet I will look soon

Well I'm home now and it a lot more quiet? That's weird but great!

Weird though eh?

Yep, lots of floods in your area?

Back
Top Bottom