non salt water salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy228

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so when i was setting up my 55 gallon tank wanted to do a couple of brackish fish with some of my freshwater fish but i knew they needed salt so i emailed this guy from store called live fish direct and he said "ot all brackish fish need salt. We have all of our brackish fish in non salt water so you don't need to add saltwater if you acclimate them slowly" is that correct and where can i find non salt water salt?

Most brackish fish like mollys and puffers can start out in freshwater, but the older they get, the more salt they need. I would recommend not putting any brackish fish with freshwater fish. :)
Brackish fish come from the water where the ocean and river meet. Saltwater fish obvoiusly come from the ocean lol.
And freshwater fish come from only fresh water.

you use the same salt to make bw as you would to make sw. sounds like you need to figure out if you want freshwater or brackish water fish.

there is also a freshwater salt by API that is supposed to be good for adding trace elements to freshwater. I agree with the previous posters though, first determine if you want brackish or freshwater and then make your water accordingly. I am pretty sure the brackish specific gravity is around 1.014 and saltwater is 1.021 up. Freshwater should be 1, lol. so I don't see why you couldn't use a saltwater mix to make brackish water as long as you monitor the salinity of it.
On a side note, brackish is a great way to practice if you think you want to move to salt water in the future. Most brackish water fish can tolerate moderate swings in water chemistry, swings larger than what saltwater creatures can take, so brackish might allow you to get experienced with mixing salt before you invest in an expensive salt aquarium.

k thanks everyone i guess i will have to try to stay away from those fish and just go with freshwater

Back
Top Bottom