Non-snail eating fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallfry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I did a search of the forum but couldn't find a similar post...so forgive me if this has been asked/answered before.

Can anyone suggest some fish that do not have an appetite for snails and are compatible with them? (as well as some to avoid?)

* I'm considering colorful, mid/large sized snails. Any suggestions on good candidates for a 10g tank? (don't want prolofic breeders)

Thank you in advance! :)

Apple snails are attractive and you need a male and a female for them to reproduce, so if you just got one, you wouldn't have to worry about snail babies overrunning your tank.

They're also fairly large, which makes them more difficult for most fish to eat.

Is it true that a certain type of apple snail can get baseball sized? 8O

(I don't want one that huge)

Most fish will leave snails alone. A few to definately stay away from are puffers and loaches. Several cichlids will also glady suck snails from their shells. Let us know what you want, and we should be able to help.

I've never seen one that big, but I had one that was about 2.5" across, maybe a little bigger.

Agreed most fish leave snails alone. And mystery snails are nice mid sized snails. They are also easy to control population wise. They lay eggs above the water line. The eggs can be scraped off very easily. They will come off in one neat package.

Thanks for the replies....I can't seem to stay away from bettas....if I got one for my 10g tank, would he be compatible with an apple snail? (I also have 3 otos in there)

I have an apple snail now that is baseball size. Actually, three of them. And it didn't take all that long for them to become that large. Ok, 6 months. The betta won't bother them at all.

The typical mystery snail(Pomacea bridgesi) that you see in a multitude of colors, only get to about 2" across. My largest snails are under 2" and are about a year old. But I believe the wild type apple snail gets to 3.5". That would be about baseball size.

I have a "huge" apple snail in my tank right now. He is almost "baseball" size. The only problem is he's a little nutty and from time to time, he slides over to the bubbler and takes several rides on the bubbles. If you can imagine a large snail wind surfing in a 30g tall tank...then you get the idea. :D

Back
Top Bottom