Noo, my first ever fish, my favorite fish, & i killed it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
The first ever fish i got, the best fish i had, one of my favorite fish, the most friendly fish, i and i killed it :sorry: I fell terrible, its because of me it died, i left the lid open and walked back in 30min later and looked at the floor there it was dead, i feel so sorry for it, it was so playful, dose any1 now if it was a long and painful death, i feel so bad and after all its been through... :cry:

Aww, I'm sorry. Its always hard when you feel responsible for a fish's death. But it has happened to all of us. The only thing you can do now is learn from it, and your future fish can benefit from this tragedy.

Haven't had a jumper, but I've killed plenty of fish due to inexperience. Fish die in the learning process. It's a shame, but sometimes the best way to learn is the hard way. You tend to remember those kinds of mistakes.

If it makes you feel better, my favorite (and first) fish died a few months ago. It was a 4 inch long iridescent which I got at about 2 inches long when I first started the hobby earlier this year. I miss that fish.

Now my new favorite is a rainbow shark I have. It's one of the more dominant fish in the tank, and my Oscar doesn't even bother it.

i too know how you feel. i made the mistake of knocking a decoration and an aerator together. a black moor got trapped and i didn't notice for a while. the friction from the bubbles and the propellar and the stress made a mess of him. sadly he was alive throughout.
it's now easy for me to say, but, don't blame yourself. just learn from the mistake and it won't happen again.

Im just kicking myself i had it open with a fan because the heat, and well, i'll guess i will never do that again.

I know you don't want to hear this, however if it ever happens again for any reason, you should attempt to put the fish back in water. Sometimes fish that seem dried up can actually revive, such as Bettas.

Ermm it was dead dead, as in the eye's had shrunk, i flicked it and it felt like card, it must of been out for about 20-25 min, sadly no chance, even the cat did not think about eating it lol, but if it happens by some chance again i will try it!! ty mike469

I go to Pet****t to buy cat food about every 2-3 weeks. I go through aquatics all the time. There's a 50/50 chance a small fish is on the floor. I try to scoop them up fast and get them back in the tank, unless the clerk has squashed them with the rolling ladder. I'd bet that single store loses a dozen a week to jumpers. I once tried to hand one to a clerk on the ladder, because it came from a top tank near them. She said "ewww gross" and let him hit the floor again. I put it in myself. I got in trouble for nearly pushing her off the ladder. :loopy:

OMG, speechless, glad to see that you care, crazy world we live in. Lol

Mike469 said:
I know you don't want to hear this, however if it ever happens again for any reason, you should attempt to put the fish back in water. Sometimes fish that seem dried up can actually revive, such as Bettas.
i didn't know that. i've only ever had 1 jumper and i flushed him. i got to him about 2 mins after he jumped. now i feel bad for flushing a fish that might've actually been revived. i hope he was truly dead as i don't like the idea of flushing a fish that might 'live' in the sewers.

Mike469 wrote:

i didn't know that. i've only ever had 1 jumper and i flushed him. i got to him about 2 mins after he jumped. now i feel bad for flushing a fish that might've actually been revived. i hope he was truly dead as i don't like the idea of flushing a fish that might 'live' in the sewers.

wait!!, dose that mean it did have a long death??? oh i feel even worse now!

if you flushed it, and you live in an urban area, it did not survive...that water has chlorine in it.

If it has only been out of water for two minutes, it most likely still was alive. I've had experiences where fish were still alive after 30 minutes of being out of water.

They can live alot longer without water than we can without air.

unfortunately, i've had many jumpers. i've lost 2 clown loaches that way, and about 3 SAEs in addition to other random fish. it sucks when it happens, and you can avoid it by putting a lid on your tank. perhaps i should follow my own advice...

Sometimes fish that seem dried up can actually revive, such as Bettas.

I've heard stories of Betta's surviving well over 30 minutes on a pet store floor because someone didn't notice it jumped.

My Oscar rode the rail a couple weeks ago. He was so excited for food that he leaped out of the water, shimmied along the edge of the tank, and then fell back in. I'm glad he didn't fall out. Still, he gets too excited when it's dinner time, but at least now if I let him eat what I'm holding in my hand, he won't jump out. Instead he'll jump at the food which I'm holding right over the tank, so he falls right back in.

Back
Top Bottom