Normal part of my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cizkaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been running this 10 gallon with 4 fish for 1.5 months now and the cycle seemed to be progressing normally... I have 2 Zebras Danios and 2 Neon tetras originally which is hardly overstocked for 10 gallons i will add more later if i don't give up first since both species are schooling fish. For awhile my nitrites and ammonia stayed at 0 but as per the norm my nitrates would go up before water changes occurred. Today I tested my water as I do every 3-4 days right now. My ammonia levels are off the charts all of a sudden even after regular 20-25% water changes every few days. I have not changed my filter elements as there is no need they aren't clogged or falling apart. mY live plants are healthy and decay free. All ive done recently was add some algaecide about 1.5-2 weeks ago. i have discontinued feeding and will for a couple of more days. I did 2 50% water changes today. The first water changed killed one of my tetras and I think that's my fault because I failed to temperature match in a half panic over my ammonia levels. The fish are not acting stressed as far as i can tell. The danios are hyper and swimming in circles as usual and I have used API Ammo Lock alongside my SeaChem Prime when changing that water and i have vacuumed the gravel. The water going into the aquarium is 0ppm ammonia. Once it goes in however its sky high 8 ppm+ even after both water changes there is no reduction. Is this possibly part of my cycle ie the ammonia spike? I understand my ammonia levels will still read high after neutralizing it to ammonium but I am just really confused what Is wrong if anything or of this is normal in a cycle? I really enjoy fish keeping but im getting ready to give up after numerous disasters trying to establish an aquarium. Attached are test results of my water that are about 1 hour old and done using an API Master Test Kit. Any ideas anyone?

Link to test results:
Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

Back
Top Bottom