normal snail behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indrani987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to everyone who is reading this post:)

I'm worried about my ivory snail. It is usually a pretty active snail, moving around day and night eating algae and food that falls to the bottom. for the past two days, however, I've found it staying inside of its shell, and isn't even attached to anything - it just sort of floats/lays on the edge of its shell. If it wanted darkness, there's a hiding place where it usually hangs out, so it's not that. I can tell it's still alive, and I've now quarantined it in case it's sick.

Is this normal for a snail? What could be wrong? What should I do?

I have: 10 gallon tank
5 zebra danios
1 betta
2 cory cats
1 ivory snail

I've heard that snails will float or sink at the bottom for weeks at a time as if playing dead.
He may be dead though, a good test is press on his "foot" or what he blocks up his shell with, if soft and mushy with no real resistance he could be dead, if its firm he's just being a dolt.

I have several snails and they some times do this but not for an entire day.

Also to tag on here, one of my goldies is always on the prowl for food and unfortunatly 1 of the snails is small enough for him to pop in his mouth, he does this A LOT.
Do you guys think that this could be bad for the snail, should I move him to my QT tank with my tinnie cory cats?

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely alive - but I guess it is playing dead. Maybe something stressed it out? Makes sense, as many animals do that I guess it was just strange since it is normally super active (for a snail that is:)

I wish I could answer about the goldfish and the snail - but I really wouldn't know as I'm pretty new to the aquarium world.

I have a snail that sleeps on it's side regularily. Used to freak me out, especially when he was hanging out of his shell; I'd have to give it a gentle nudge just to make sure it was alive. Now I just leave it alone. It generally moves on after a day or so. It also doesn't seem to have a preferred 'bedroom' and will nod off just about anywhere. I've also heard that some snails (species?) have been caught snoozing upwards of three years.

Also to tag on here, one of my goldies is always on the prowl for food and unfortunatly 1 of the snails is small enough for him to pop in his mouth, he does this A LOT.Do you guys think that this could be bad for the snail, should I move him to my QT tank with my tinnie cory cats?
I think I'd move my snail. With it's shell it's probably safe enough being a spitball for a fish, but it's probably not alot of fun. Mind you, if it's young it's shell might be soft and more easily damaged than the older ones?

:oops: sorry...I'm a computer blunder!... haven't quite nailed the little 'quote thingy' ...but you can probably figure out that last message.

I thought my mystery snail was dead many times. :cry: He always "hibernates" for days at a time (I think a full week once). He also likes to float around once in a while. I've had him for about 6 months so I assume that's just his normal behavior!

If he is still alive then there really isn't much you can do besides let him be.

Back
Top Bottom