Not enough to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the last day or 2 I've noticed that my platys have been picking at the driftwood. I have a decent supply of algae in my tank as it's near a window so I'm guessing this it what they are picking at but wondering why? Are they not eating enough?

They don't really come to the surface to eat unless I'm offering something like tubifex where there are a few chunks they need to nibble at. Usually they seem to wait in the mid/lower level for the food(usually flakes) to come to them. Rarely do I see them go up into the "frenzy" with my neons. They poop a lot. I swear every time I look into my tanks at least one is pooping. I just want to make sure this is not something to be concerned about. I was planning to buy some sinking pellets anyways.

The sinking pellets might be a good idea. I have fish that like to eat from mid-level so it can be hard getting food to them especially if you have faster greedier fish like Neons. Try the pellets (I use New LIfe Spectrum or HIkari); I soak mine for a few seconds in a spoon of tank water so they'll sink right away. I also turn my filter off for feeding as I found that the food was blowing around too much and the slower fish weren't getting much.

The sinking pellets might be a good idea. I have fish that like to eat from mid-level so it can be hard getting food to them especially if you have faster greedier fish like Neons. Try the pellets (I use New LIfe Spectrum or HIkari); I soak mine for a few seconds in a spoon of tank water so they'll sink right away. I also turn my filter off for feeding as I found that the food was blowing around too much and the slower fish weren't getting much.

awesome, I'll look for those brands. :) thanks

I may start shutting off the filter too. Can't hurt and might help with some of the waste. I never realized how much waste a platy makes. lol

So the last day or 2 I've noticed that my platys have been picking at the driftwood. I have a decent supply of algae in my tank as it's near a window so I'm guessing this it what they are picking at but wondering why? Are they not eating enough?

I have Black Mollies... they eat like hogs, and still constantly pick at the driftwood in my tank. Maybe it's a livebearer thing haha!

Platys and mollies do eat alge. It's nothing to be concerned about. You are probably giving them plenty to eat.

good to know! They are fairly new additions to the tank(2 weeks) so their behavior is still new to me.

Back
Top Bottom