Not sure what kind of snail this is but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought it for like $1.17 at wal-mart because my mom wanted it... So I said whatever its only a buck... Well it's black, and its probably just a common snail. What is the typical size of a snails eggs? I think this one has already laid eggs. How many eggs do they usually lay? I hope it didn't, or i'll just have to kill them. I don't wanna be over run...

I had 1 snail turn into close to 100 now, in less than a month. Now I have 2 fish that prefer snacking on them to keep the population in check.

hmm walmart+snail= bad snail :p walmart usually doesnt sell apple snails, and some apple snails are bad too. these eat your plants too if you have any. besides that and multiplying if kept with too much food, their not that bad

Its about the size of a $0.50 cent piece... pretty large. The wal-mart I work at sells the Mystery Snails, which I've heard are the same as Apple Snails? But yea... so does anyone know how big the eggs are and how fast they hatch? Also, how many usually come from one egg lay? Thanks

up to 30 can come from on set of eggs, i beleive

they can hatch from 4-7 days and then the snails disappear for a while and then suddenly you will see them coming to the surface for the air

hmm i guess that could be an apple... may not want to risk your plants though (if you have them of coarse)

Walmart actually sells black mystery/applesnails quite frequently around here. They will not overpopulate your tank because they lay their eggs above water which are easily removed. If they do lay eggs though and you miss them expect 100-200 babies. This still won't be a problem though since applesnails need a male and female to create fertile eggs so without 2 snails you will just get no eggs or dead eggs.
Applesnails come in dozens of colors anymore. Black, purple, blue, jade, olive, burgundy, yellow, striped, not striped... You name it there's a color at least close to it or in process.

Where did the snail lay her eggs? If it is above the waterline then you likely have an apple snail. If the eggs are below the waterline then you have something else. Is it a ramshorn snail?

This website is all about apples snails but they do have stuff about other snails too. Maybe you can make an id here: www.applesnail.net

I think snails are way cool. :multi: It's easy to keep the population down if you have a fish that will eat the eggs or else just take out the eggs when you see 'em.

HTH.
coolchinchilla

from the site you directed me to

One of the most characteristic features of apple snails is the tube like organ (siphon) used to breathe while staying submerged.
If your snail has such organ it's definitely an apple snail.

yea it looks like its a black apple snail[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom