Not sure where to really post this.(betta housing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my plexi at Lowe's. They will make 3 cuts for free. After that it is like .10/cut. I had a gazillion cuts and it cost me about $5 extra per barrack. See the blog for where to get the glue. The big chains have tanks running off a central filter. All you need is to do something similar with something that is not as deep as a regular tank and has dividers. Maybe you could submit something to corporate and tell how they could do this big promo about how THEY keep their bettas happy and healthy compared to OTHER stores. They could only tell you no.. and you would be no further behind.

Pretty smart. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to look into your design, too.

I got my plexi at Lowe's. They will make 3 cuts for free. After that it is like .10/cut. I had a gazillion cuts and it cost me about $5 extra per barrack. See the blog for where to get the glue. The big chains have tanks running off a central filter. All you need is to do something similar with something that is not as deep as a regular tank and has dividers. Maybe you could submit something to corporate and tell how they could do this big promo about how THEY keep their bettas happy and healthy compared to OTHER stores. They could only tell you no.. and you would be no further behind.

I used to spend 4 hours a day changing water. The barracks allow me to change water in 20 minutes and I do it every 3rd day. After the intitial cost of the system they will save money. They will break even in a week with labor.. and people HATE the way these fish are kept. Suggest they become a leader and do something. Copy some of the comments from the web when you send that letter to corp..

You could always just set up a couple 10g tanks and put a few dividers in each one..

That's what most of the local mom and pop fish stores here do with their bettas, but corporations want something as aesthetically pleasing and space efficient as possible. I have a few names for them that I won't utter here. :cool:

To be fair, though, I took a little tour today of some local fish shops I hear a lot about. I didn't get to go to the biggest one that I hear lots of good things about, but I went to a few of the smaller ones I've heard decent things about because I was in the area and there seem to be 4 in one circle.

Is it normal for their tanks to be so filthy? I get maybe keeping a few tanks full of algea and grime for various fish that may need it, but you could barely see through any of the tanks. Two of the shops were friendly and courteous despite this issue I had even peering through the glass.. but I kind of want to see the fish I'm buying before I buy it.

I'm sure most places aren't like these and maybe being in a grossly over-primped big box store I've become too accustomed to everything being kind of.. sparkly. I am just ocd and I wanted them to hire me for the day to do some cleaning/water changes/gravel vacuuming.. because in all 4 of the shops the employees were all just kind of sitting around blabbing. I see a lot of this in my own store, but not as blatant when things need to be done.. I couldn't work there because I'd never stop scrubbing! :taped:

There are two things I love at work: Feeding fish and maintaining their tanks. Even on busy days it's the only thing that calms me down.

Okay, I work in a chain pet store and have long disliked the use of the betta "cup". I get WHY it's more "cost effective" but I know for a fact that before I was in the department.. only one person really maintained the cups on a regular basis and she is also the only person who does really anything over there when it comes to properly caring for the fish. So a LOT of times they got neglected.

Was kind of tossing the idea around to my corporate management when he visited about how there really has to be some kind of better alternative that is more time efficient(which is all they really care about and I had to pitch it to him that way).. that better houses the betta. Heater, filtration, at LEAST 2 gallons of water that is easily accessible for feeding and general care. He agreed and maybe I am just a bit of an idealist but I really want this to happen!

To the actual question of it if you've managed to read this far(sorry, I'm long winded!):

Is there some kind of "block" system similar to the way most larger tanks are set up in a corporate run fish store anywhere on the market? I know I've seen a few members here with small fish stores in various parts of their houses, etc.. is there a resource out there that sells huge systems like this to companies?

Googling hasn't turned up with anything really, though I'm going to try to reword it. Even if there isn't I really plan to pursue it and think I'll get one of my more mechanically inclined crafty friends to fiddle with this idea. I have an image in my head but am worried I am really too much of a dreamer.

Okay, I will help you searching about your problem. I'm just wondering if how she can managed the cups? I don't understand it much.

Back
Top Bottom