not that i would ever try this but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidelusion

Aquarium Advice Regular
what would happen if you were to put a sw fish in fw tank? or vice versa?

i assume the fish would die, possibly from lack of oxygen?

sorry if this has been asked before

hmm from reading since my orignal post thats what i have gathered. i did read on liveaquaria that a way to test for marine vevlet is to put the fish in freshwater for a minute and all the parasites would jump off. so im assuming that they wouldnt die right away.

Fruitbat said:
The fish would die...but not from lack of oxygen. The problem would be osmotic balance.

Yep... If I remember my osmosis right, SW fish would baloon up (eventually its cells break) because all the water from the outside would try to balance the concentration of ions inside... And a FW fish in saltwater would shrink...

But... since the bacteria or whatever else growing on your fish has cells that are smaller than the fish, they die first - that is why you don't want to leave your fish there for too long, or his cells may fill up too much and lyse...

Bioworldmaker said:
Fruitbat said:
The fish would die...but not from lack of oxygen. The problem would be osmotic balance.

Yep... If I remember my osmosis right, SW fish would baloon up (eventually its cells break) because all the water from the outside would try to balance the concentration of ions inside... And a FW fish in saltwater would shrink...

But... since the bacteria or whatever else growing on your fish has cells that are smaller than the fish, they die first - that is why you don't want to leave your fish there for too long, or his cells may fill up too much and lyse...

that doesnt sound pleasent at all

Back
Top Bottom