Novice adapting a tank - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HDFisher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey
My friend is moving and I am adapting his tank. He is a beginner himself so I didnt find it much helpful but to take proper care of my new family members I look forward for advice to maintain and sustain the tank on ongoing basis. I have a basic idea on feeding pattern but I really want good advices on how to better manage the tank.

Specs:
10 Gallon
6 Danios
2 bumblebee
1 kulhi loach
1 Pleco

Thanks

First I need to ask what kind of pleco you have in the tank? A clown pleco would be probably the only one that I could foresee living in that size tank and that would be cramped. I would really consider changing the pleco out for something else.

The rest of the fish will do fine though they would all appreciate a 20 long if you ever had the inclination of upgrading in the future.

Number one is making sure your aquarium is cycled and understanding how to maintain a cycled aquarium. If you can do that then the rest is just how big and how frequent of water changes you need to make along with moderating your feeding.

I would consider adding live plants if that is something you feel comfortable with. Love plants can help recycle some waste though definitely not enough to mediate water changes. Some good beginner aquarium plant is anubias, Java fern, and crypts.

First I need to ask what kind of pleco you have in the tank? A clown pleco would be probably the only one that I could foresee living in that size tank and that would be cramped. I would really consider changing the pleco out for something else.

The rest of the fish will do fine though they would all appreciate a 20 long if you ever had the inclination of upgrading in the future.

Number one is making sure your aquarium is cycled and understanding how to maintain a cycled aquarium. If you can do that then the rest is just how big and how frequent of water changes you need to make along with moderating your feeding.

I would consider adding live plants if that is something you feel comfortable with. Love plants can help recycle some waste though definitely not enough to mediate water changes. Some good beginner aquarium plant is anubias, Java fern, and crypts.
I second this one the pleco. Rehome it and get a few more Kuhli loaches. They stay smaller and actually do a better job of helping clean the tank. Plecos generally create more waste in the tank than they consume

Thanks D-Fish & charliebankston

Not sure what pleco is it. It looks like overall blackish. Is there a way I can ad a pic here to ID it?

Looks like a Common Pleco

Back
Top Bottom