Now I think I have a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjh33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You have all been helping me with stocking my 10 gal but now I think I may have a problem.

A quick review of what I had/have. I had 2 serpae tetras that I got about 1 month ago. Friday I got 3 more serpaes and a dwarf gourami. The serpaes were beating up on the gourami so I took all of the serpaes back on Monday and got 2 julii cories to go with my gourami.

Since the beginning the gourami hasn't been very active. He has stayed primarily in one corner near the top of the tank. He ate a little the first two feedings but I haven't seen him eat since. Based on what I read I figured this was typical gourami behavior, he was just being shy, getting used to the tank etc. I also figured the serpaes were stressing him out and eating all of the food and thought that once they were gone he would perk up.

Well, he has perked up a little. He seems to be swimming around now and at least is in a different place in the tank whenever I come back into the room. However, I still haven't seen him eat and I have noticed he has white poo. Also from the beginning he seems to "breath" fast (opening his mouth fast and a lot) compared to the tetras but I just figured this was normal for gouramis. Is it? Overall, from the outside he seems to look healthy and doesn't seem to be hiding like he did before. Is he sick or is he still just getting used to things?

Thanks.

I just noticed there was an unhealthy fish forum so I posted this over there too.

Thanks!

Dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalia) are very sensitive to water conditions. As well they prefer a heavily planted tank. You are right that a 10g may be too small to house two males and females are difficult to come by. However, they like to be kept in pairs.

What are your water parameters? pH, NH3/NH4, NO2, NO3?

Now, sounding like a broken record :roll: (if you've read any of my other posts), but I really recommend The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums, by David E. Boruchowitz. He really explains a lot about successfully managing your first aquarium.

HTH

Thanks for the book suggestions. I don't have a good basic book and need to get one.

I think if I want two gouramis I need to stick with a male and female pair. The big question is can I find a female?

Back
Top Bottom