Now what fish? *With Pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to the lfs in a little bit and am going to try and find another fish for my 55 gal tank. It currently has 6 German Blue Rams, 6 True Rummynose Tetras, 6 Hi-Fin Serpae Tetras, 2 Panda Cories, and 2 Bamboo Shrimp. The tank is becoming heavily planted, but it still has a few months before the plants really fill in completly. It has extra filtration (Cascade 1000). What would you guys recommend? I had thought about some Gourami's or another mid to top dwelling fish.

I love gourami's! I have 3 pearl gouramis and they are absolutely beautiful! I also think a few more cories might be fun for your tank.

I'll definately be getting a few more cories, but probably something a little larger than the Pandas. They are getting picked on by the Serpae's. We've had two die since the move and two died prior to it.

What else besides Gourami's? I really like Guppies, but of course only one sex. Anything else besides them that are good mid to top dwellers?

I love my pearl gourami as well. She is a pretty and peaceful fish. You could do angels as well. I second the addition of a few more cories.

Do you like hatchetfish at all? I have some silvers but found some marbles the other day. I agree the panda cories are adorable but small, I have some spotted cories that are bigger. The other day I was at the lfs and they had green cories that were 2"! I had never seen cories that large at the lfs before! And God yes if you go with guppies get all males. LOL I can't stop my guppies from reproducing! I started out with 5 now I have more than I can count. Males only could be gorgeous if you chose a wide color spectrum. Dang FF, now I want another tank!

I had 6 Marble Hatchets that all of a sudden died one day right after a water change. It was really weird. They were all in great health, active, and eating well. Then we did a water change and they all died within two hours. All of the other fish were fine. It was really weird. but I'd rather a fish that didn't stay on the surface all the time. They are pretty, but just not what I'm looking for. Good suggestion though. :D

So I'm thinking maybe 4 more Cories of a different type, and maybe 3 Angels and 2 Gourami's? Of course not all at once, but how does that sound? Over doing it?

6 Hi-FIn Serpae Tetras
6 True Rummnose Tetras
6 Cories
6 German Blue Rams
3 Angels
2 Gouramis

Or maybe a few guppies instead of the Gouramis? But would the Angels snack on the Guppies?

why not try some Celebes Rainbows?

The angels would have a nice supply of live food with the guppies *gulp*

I figured that the Angels would munch on the guppies. Darn. Oh well. I really like Angels and may get a few. After some searching at Live Aquaria I'm thinking maybe 4 more Cories and three angels. How does that sound? And eventually when I find another BN pleco I'll add one of those.

6 Hi-FIn Serpae Tetras
6 True Rummnose Tetras
6 Cories
6 German Blue Rams
3 Angels

I love Rainbows but they are pretty hard to find around here. If I found one I'd love to get one. Particularly the Boesemani Rainbow. The lfs usually has them in their show tanks and never for sale.

I think that would make a nice tanl full of fish. I don't think angels would eat adult fancy guppies, a little to big. The normal more wild strains would be in trouble though.

Now I'm thinking Barbs. LOL I am all over the place this morning. I'm thinking maybe adding 4 more cories then 8 Barbs to round out the tank. I'm a little freaked about the possibility of the Serpae's munching on the Angels.

Ok, I got 8 Male Rosy Barbs today along with 4 Elegans Cory Cats. The tank is mature and I will be watching the parameters over the next several days in case of an Ammonia spike. I have to do a water change tomorrow anyways. :D It is just such a pain to drive all the way to the lfs. So I figured I'd get them all today. Plus, they are all still pretty small. :D Thanks Ser for your help in chat!

They are acclimating right now. I think I'll wait until tomorrow to take some pics. That way it will give them time to adjust to the new tank. :D I'm pretty excited about the new additions.

We also went up there to purchase an Acei. It's a rare color morph of the Tanzanian Black and Ngara. We saw it there last week. We got there and it was in the tank. I had to guy bag up the Barbs and Cories. We went back to the tank and couldn't find it. I think because the guy didn't actually want to look for it in the rock structures. We stood there for a good 30 minutes looking for the Acei but couldn't see it. Finally we just left. But this Acei was beautiful. It was solid black with white trimming its fins. Gorgeous fish. It would have been a great addition to the 150 gal tank, but oh well. :(

I'll definately be posting pics tomorrow. They were doing great about an hour ago when I checked in on them. Now I just have to get the plants all in order so I can take some snazzy pics. :D

Well, I attempted taking pics of the Barbs, but they were too fast to take a decent pic with. The ones that did turn out, the camera did not do them justice. They are beautiful in the tank but the pics didn't look so good. Their shimmer body just looks amazing. But I did manage to get some shots of my Rams that are coloring up nicely. :D

Congrats on your new additions FF! (y)

I couldn't help taking a good look at the first pic. The ram seems to be passing a small java fern, which looks to be "planted" in the substrate. If this is true, take it out...and tie it (them) to a piece of wood or rock. :)

:) Yes, that is correct. It is passing a small java fern. How long does it need to be tied to a rock/wood? The Barbs are starting to nip at the Anacharis. :D They all are living very well together.

Back
Top Bottom