Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now with photos ! How to sex boesemani rainbows

How do you tell the difference between males and females ? I bought two today and I think they're both female even tho the guy at the LFS said they are both males (but then he charged me the price for females, which really makes me wonder). If anyone has pics that clearly shows the difference I'd appreciate it - I've googled, etc and haven't found anything that clearly shows the difference. I've read the females are "drabber" in color, which doesn't help when all the fish in the tank looked the same (ie: they all looked like either one sex or the other - nothing distinquishable to my untrained eye).

Old 09-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
http://www.ericschreiber.com/aquarium/fish-boseman.html

This looks to me to be a male and female, I've always had a hard time telling as well. If it's not bright blue, it's not a male. Males are really bright. Females..."drab" like you said.

Sorry, wish I could help more. Any chance you can get pics of yours?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
The males will be clearly differentiated between blue front half and yellow rear half. The females will be blue overall. Wait until your fish are not stressed any more from transport and it should be easier to tell them apart.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah thank you both - perhaps they are both males ! That link was great - first one I've seen that actually had a photo of a "drab" female (at least, like you, I think that bottom one is a female !)

EDIT: Photos attached now !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0038_607.jpg (110.6 KB, 3802 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0048_716.jpg (165.6 KB, 2731 views)
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your fish are definitely both male. They are beautiful examples of the species.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks gheitman ! I guess I got a "deal" since he charged me for females.
Will they flash w/out any females in the tank ?

I saw a 75G tank (used) for sale around the corner from my house - now I'm thinking "rainbow tank". They are mighty impressive and really make the tank come "alive"
Old 09-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I had space for a 75g tank I'd grab it in a heartbeat. It would be beautiful with rainbows in it. Your fish will get deeper bodied and the yellow will shade towards orange as they get older.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Very nice males, joannde. I say go for the tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannde
Will they flash w/out any females in the tank ?
Actually, rainbows are very "aggresive" male to male, however, they don't attack or injure each other, just flash, flash, flash. I have a number of different species of rainbow (madagascar, boesemani, celebes, goyder river, regal, turquiose), and they school together (except the celebes) and flash each other. Especially my goyders, boesemani, and regal...whoa man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannde
I saw a 75G tank (used) for sale around the corner from my house - now I'm thinking "rainbow tank".
A 75g is well worth it for a rainbow tank. Many of the species I mentioned above get atleast 3", some up to 6". The celebes are the small variety (there are also dwarf ones as well) and only get about 1.5" long. oooohhhh - I am going to be so jealous if you get a 75 and make it a rainbow tank!!!

EDIT: I am such a doofus - beautiful fish by the way!!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks MSUFan. They do seem to be sticking together, haven't seen any flashing yet but they need some time to get used to the new home.

I'm seriously thinking of asking my husband to get the 75G for me for my b'day. I have to wonder what I'm getting myself into !!! LOL - MTS sure strikes FAST

Now to decide between Rainbows and Cichlids ....
Old 09-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
what do you mean, flash each other? i understand its a dominance thing, but i dont understand what it means? never kept rainbows
Old 09-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Flashing is a color display in/on the fish. When the boesemani in the pics begin flashing, they look like they are shimmering because the color of their scales is actually going from light to dark and back again very quickly - they look like an ever changing rainbow... some times the colors get different (the blue can look green or purple and the yellow can turn orange or red).

I am not sure physically how this is accomplished, so someone else can chime in there...

Also, when flashing, I have found that they tend to swim, then stop, and when they stop, their fins (which in the above pics are "laying down") will flare open and turn colors as well. It turns out that my goyder's fins are actually a red/orange colors, whereas, his body is blueish. It quite stunning to see.
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rats - my husband went to get the (used) 75G tank that was for sale around the corner yesterday as my b'day gift. It was sold only a few hours before Guess I won't have to decide between rainbows and cichlids afterall
Old 09-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had some praecox rainbows before and I was really surprised when the started flashing. It was really amazing to watch. Almost like a cuttlefish.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear that Joannde...I was looking forward to the pics!!!

MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boesemani, oto, photos, rainbows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com