Odd betta fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

preyas1207

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys just wondering if this was normal, I have 5 betta fish each has about 2.5 gallons of water just like those breeder tanks except a screen is dividing them, 1 betta fish jumped into the others tank and I thought chaos would come but no, the just swam beside each other like a squad:). I decided to save another betta but a female this time from PetSmart.com all I had available was my 5.5 gallon with one male guppy and a male betta and some mts so I just decided to use a breeder net and keep her there for now but the next morning which is today, she was out of the net swimming near the male betta and the male guppy and a ghost shrimp were in the net xD is this normal?

No it is not very typical but I would highly recommend not putting the female with the male. Most likley you will have one dead fish in time. Also while you may feel that you are saving the betta fish by buying them you are just fueling the industry for them making the store you got them from keep stocking them and continue to mistreat them. Good job on providing your fish with happy homes though!:)

That happened to me I have one of those divider boxes as well, eventually I took the divider out and now one betta has the whole thing to himself. If learned to keep the water level away from the edge because I don't think they jump over, but they like flop over haha it's fun to watch though

Dallas just remember this though we're talking bout petsmart , presumably the largest pet chain store in the industries most likely bettas were possibly their 2nd fish chosen for torture before goldfish and they're most likely to be thelast if petsmart is shut down

I've been working on a DIY Project to spawn my bettas and give them away for postage on the forum. The males have not been cooperating and I'm gearing up for a very large project, so delays, delays. Anyway, I think everyone of us that spawn our bettas should give them away right here and anywhere else we can. The bettas at the, "Pet Whatever," stores are mainly brought in from asia and if you think the store set up is bad, the way they got here is much worse. I've rescued a few from PetsS-PetC but have largely given up as they import more than I can buy.

Can you guys tell me how the store ' tortures' these fish?

In thailand, the fish are still used for fighting. They are kept in stone jars and fed a good diet to keep them in good condition. Then they are put together for the fight. When they fight, one fish will always give up. They may suffer fin damage from the fight, but are then treated well to condition them again.

Wild bettas are often found in tiny pools with very low pH and low oxygen, among piles of rotting vegetation. They are pretty tough.

Can you guys tell me how the store ' tortures' these fish?

In thailand, the fish are still used for fighting. They are kept in stone jars and fed a good diet to keep them in good condition. Then they are put together for the fight. When they fight, one fish will always give up. They may suffer fin damage from the fight, but are then treated well to condition them again.

Wild bettas are often found in tiny pools with very low pH and low oxygen, among piles of rotting vegetation. They are pretty tough.

They are left to sit in cups of water without any water changes until they succumb to sickness or ammonia poisoning. That fits my definition of torture pretty well. The last lfs I went to had a setup like this and I saw no less than 8 bettas with severe fungal / bacterial infections.

The Walmart next to me does water changes and puts the older betta's in tanks with fish they won't get aggressive with then they always treat the fish if they have a problem. If Walmart can do it I'm surprised petco can't, that's just laziness

Back
Top Bottom