Odd fish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamesr1985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So me and my wife are new to fish keeping and we are unfortunatly learning throuh trial and error.... We are going to be picking up a water test kit soon.

But the question i have is about the highfin plecostamus
That we found dead with a giant hole in his underbelly we dont know who would or could have done it... We currently have 2 powder blue gouramis 1 red dwarf gourami (had 2 but one died earlier in the week) 5 tiger barbs 2 catfish (cant remember what kind) 3 whitecloud minnows and 3 fancy guppys

Our tank i think is 48gal and not sure about the water quality have som drift wood inside to create some spots to hide a small cave and a pinneapple house (i have kids lol) and some fake plants

Hard to say what caused it. Plecos are pretty tough. My advice at this point, until you get a water test kit, is to do frequent water changes. I'm assuming your tank isn't cycled and you have quite a few fish in there if it's uncycled. I'd do 50% water changes every other day....or 25% daily water changes.

We have had the tank running for 6 months now the plecko wasnt just dead but almost gutted and cleaned out

Ahh ok. Is it possible he died from something else then got eaten after death? The fish you have generally wouldnt full on attack, kill and gut a pleco.

So chaulk it up to he died and they ate him to keep bacteria down.... I hear fish will do that

Don't know about their innate ability to determine bacteria but they will eat at dead fish.

Back
Top Bottom