Odd Growth in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkeyboy0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been keeping a 29 gallon tank for around a month now with a Black Moor named Molly. I was preparing to get some more fish when the tank became really dirty very quickly. I was confused because I had done a 10 gallon water change and cleaned out the tank as much as I could about a week before the tank developed the problem. I am not sure what it is because the water is clear, but the sides of the tank and the gravel at the bottom are covered in a growth that is brown, almost looking like rust. On top of it all, apparently there were some snails on the plants I got about 2 weeks ago because now I have at least 5 snails in my tank, which caught me off guard because I didn't see anything for that 2 week period I had gotten the plants. I have decided to leave them in there for now because they seem to be eating the growth. I also removed some bamboo I had in the tank because I am pretty sure it was dead, and it seemed the growth originated from it. My fish is fine, still eating, and not showing any signs of being sick, but I wanted to ask here what to do before taking action. Thanks!

IMG_5875.JPGView attachment 1
It is all of those brown dots on the glass and gravel... Again, the water is completely clear, the growth appears to only be attaching itself to surfaces

Looks like diatoms. It's common in newly setup tanks and will usually go away on its own. You can wipe it off the glass to get a better view. It shouldn't hurt anything

Okay, I am glad it isn't harmful! Even so, it really doesn't look too pretty and was wondering if there are any tips on getting rid of it. Should I get a new filter?

It is caused by excess silicates in the water so a different filter won't do anything. I'd just wait for them to go away.

Yeah... I found some sort of product to get rid of the extra silicates and was wondering if that would be worth my money and effort to buy, or if I should just wait it out?

I'm not really sure if it's worth it or not as I have never tried any products for them. If you really want them to go away you can try it and let us know how it goes.

Yeah sure! I will most likely be going to my local fish store pretty soon so I will look there for something to help

I have has diatoms for over a year, it might be worth it. I just clean everything and havent bought anything so i cant say it will work. I was told that if u over clean the gravel it causes more of a breakout and i found that to be true. I was also told that it could be to much light so i lowered the time my light was on and it didnt do anything. Good luck if u buy something let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom