"odd" snail behaviour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
bought a blue mystery snail today for my betta. Was doing well, climbing all around exploring his new home. went back into the kitchen (his home is on the counter) and my snail was riding the current from the filter. he was out of his shell not /all/ the way open but his antenae (antenii?) were out and twitching around. i fished him out of the current into the quieter corner but he made his way back over. should i be worried?

Sounds like normal snail behavior.

Mystery snails often go to the surface, extend their siphon, and pump air into their shells. They have lungs in addition to gills! With their shells full of air, they float around while they extract O2. Then, they squeeze out some air and begin to sink - with their bodies extended so they can make a soft touch down.

They're interesting to watch.

They are very interesting, I had 1 that for like 8hrs straight was at the top doing circles around my tank from the current. It did grab hold like 1/2 dozen times, but then would be floating again in minutes. I thought is was dying, but it was back to normal the next day and is still alive.

should be fine. though i would worry more about the betta attacking it then anything.

iv read up on snails before as my mystery snail would float around mid level in my tank.

under some conditions in the wild, a snail will float to the surface water, then ride the current to a new location, in some cases, this behavior is to find a better location of cleaner/unpolluted water.

Well he's dead. :( He was fine when I left Saturday afternoon but came home this evening and he was dead. Dunno how long he was floating in there so I did about a 75% water change. PorkCop seems fine so I'm not worried.

im sorry to hear that, but it may have been your water quality.

these animals can tell you alot about your tank as far as warnings.

in fresh water, you watch snails who are looking for better water by floating, and in saltwater, you observe sea urchins, when they begin to shed spines, its time to test the water, determine the problem then change the water.

these signs are advance warnings before potentially great losses occur.

Back
Top Bottom