Oddball aquarium setup and suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have came into possession of a custom-made oddball aquarium. The tank is in decent shape though everything else has been long gone. I got to do some work on the tank itself before it's ready for inhabitants but at this point I am trying to think what I'm going to do with it.

20190705_122049.jpg

The tank is 6 ft long and 18 or 20" high I believe (not measured yet). But only 5-6" inches wide.
The tank was originally designed to fit into the headboard of a custom bed.

My best guess is that the aquarium holds somewhere around 35 to 40 gallons of water. (Will get better measurements later)

So here's the direction I am thinking currently. I know I cannot put any kind of large fish at all in this aquarium also due to its nature aquarium filters will be slightly harder to work with. Right now I am considering using multiple sponge filters run by a single air pump. Since circulation in the tank will be low I am considering making this a heavily planted tank. That way maintenance should be "minimal".

So here is my consideration. I could do this as a topwater heavily planted tank and even go towards blackwater biotype. I have also considered going with a jungle Vale look and use plants in that general category. The width of the tank also really makes planning plants hard for me.

I'm considering using one or multiple schools of smaller fish. If I went with a blackwater bayou type I could do some Rasbora or danio with a small gourami species.
I've also considered doing a single species tanks maybe long-finned tiger barbs or something like that.

Idk this really has me stumped on what I want to do lol
But it's a challenge I want to take on so please give me your best ideas!!!!

Thank you everyone.
Let your imaginations go wild with this one!

P.S. I'm thinking about making a stand and having it up above the back of my couch as a living room display piece.

Moderately planted with Harlequin rasboras and cardinal tetras is the first thing that pops in my head.

I think it's a 35 gallon

[emoji106]Kingfisher
My calculations make it 32.6
I think sponge filters are definitely the way to go either a couple of smaller ones that sit in the tank or a dual one(2?) that mounts on the side, amount will really depends on the diameter of the sponges and your ability to camouflage it.

Ok so I'm thinking I'll just say 30gal that way we are safe.

Screenshot_20190709-235150_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

Thinking I'll get these. I've got one in a 15gal tall and it's been great. It says up to 40gal but I doubt that really. I think two though (one on each end) would work nice.

I could plant some Jungle Val around them to camouflage.

[emoji106]Kingfisher
My calculations make it 32.6
I think sponge filters are definitely the way to go either a couple of smaller ones that sit in the tank or a dual one(2?) that mounts on the side, amount will really depends on the diameter of the sponges and your ability to camouflage it.
I agree. Dual sponge filters at each end.

Ok so I'm thinking I'll just say 30gal that way we are safe.

View attachment 313388

Thinking I'll get these. I've got one in a 15gal tall and it's been great. It says up to 40gal but I doubt that really. I think two though (one on each end) would work nice.

I could plant some Jungle Val around them to camouflage.
I think that's perfect

Neon blue rasbora (sundadanio axelrodi) very beautiful. Love soft black water. Boraras Brigittae, and Celestichthys margaritatus Celestial Pearl 'Danio'.

Some kind of adult shrimp.

Sundadanio that I owned like to hunt around for little treats in the moss and plants, like shrimp babies.

Also the plants could grow out the top of the tank with some strategic lighting.

You'd need something in the middle to move water around if you have just sponge filters on the ends!

Sounds like a bunch of fun...

That's the light I have just shorter for me. Does well with my low light plants.

Neon blue rasbora (sundadanio axelrodi) very beautiful. Love soft black water. Boraras Brigittae, and Celestichthys margaritatus Celestial Pearl 'Danio'.

Some kind of adult shrimp.

Sundadanio that I owned like to hunt around for little treats in the moss and plants, like shrimp babies.

Also the plants could grow out the top of the tank with some strategic lighting.

You'd need something in the middle to move water around if you have just sponge filters on the ends!

Sounds like a bunch of fun...
Interesting idea. Thanks.

Might add a bubble wand or a couple of stones in the middle for more circulation.

I'm considering using just one species of plant and making it simple.

That's the light I have just shorter for me. Does well with my low light plants.
Thanks. Good to know.

What I was wondering though was should I get the 6500k or the "full spectrum" light?
Which would look better lighting the tank?

What about doing it as a betta sorority tank?

Just another thought. 8-10 female bettas.

Got it made and fastened to the wall. This window gets no direct sun as there is a covered porch on the other side. I will also be attaching a background on to the tank.
Plan on getting the tank set on tomorrow!20190728_161542.jpg20190728_161647.jpg20190728_162851.jpg

Back
Top Bottom