Odessa Barbs picking on each other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RnLGG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I've got seven odessa barbs in my thirty five gallon long tank. I've had the barbs for a good few months now, and before when I only had about five of them, one barb was always picked on. I never really saw it happen, but the barb had nipped fins and was much thinner than the other barbs, so it probably wasn't eating. The barb eventually died. I decided that there wasn't enough barbs in the tank, which caused them to attack one. I went and got another five, and a couple weeks after, one died from what I think was a gall bladder failure. Then another barb was picked on, the exact same as before. It looked exactly like the other one, and weeks later, it died. Now, I have a barb that isn't looking too hot.
Is it an odessa barb's nature to always go after one of the weaker barbs? I highly doubt it's the chinese algae eater in my tank, I haven't measured him properly recently but I'm guessing he's between 3-4" now, but he isn't aggressive yet, and he leaves the barbs alone.
Thank you in advance!

Becasue that is what they do since they are an aggresive species and will nip other barbs. And yes they will go for the smaller barbs. Just seperate them if you see any more aggresion or justlet it go on since they are going after him and your algea eater.

Back
Top Bottom