Office Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindsayBlum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have a 6 gallon Eclipse bowfront aquarium at work that's been up and running for over a year. It currently houses (and has only housed) a male betta. I was thinking of adding a few ghost shrimp, or an ADF, or some snails. Does that sound ok, or should I just leave little Neptune all by himself? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for tank mates?

Thanks!!

Only add tankmates if you are prepared to provide an alternative home if things don't work out. Some bettas simply will not tolerate any tankmates.

As usual I agree with Joy :). Bettas can be extremely territorial. Especially when they have had a tank to themselves for over a year.

A few days ago, I decided to try to add a few tank mates in with my Betta, and well it went great!! I added 3 lemon Tetras, and tehya re getting along great!

img_851005_0_db808cc6f13a3898b1d8a6e0f54371a8.jpg

img_851005_1_0e536a506de1beb7b9fcd44feb3addd2.jpg

img_851005_2_5288082468f476d70c08fc7254568339.jpg

img_851005_3_8c211a1e60e581e6555f1422bd4f3266.jpg

That is one gorgeous betta!

I'm glad yours gets along with his new tankmates. I put a snail in mine a few months back, and the Betta was fine . . . until the snail started crawling up the sides of the aquarium, and then he started flaring at the snail. Never saw him do anything to the snail though.

Hope he continues to get a long with his new tankmates.

I would leave him alone or get him a shrimpy friend or two. Ghost shrimp are usually inexpensive and are a good choice to see if your betta will get along with them before adding something like CRS or tigers and losing a huge lump of money. I have successfully kept male bettas (as well as females) in community setttings, but I wouldn't try it in anything less than a 10 gallon merely because of territory. In a larger tank there is more space for the others to escape any aggression and remain out of his immediate area.

Back
Top Bottom