Office Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, "Severum, the CEO would like to speak with you"....."Tell him to call me back later- I'm busy doing a gravel vac here!" :lol:

No, I meant do you use a siphon, or plastic cups, or do you carry the whole tank to a sink? And where do you dump the dirty water? Hopefully not in the water cooler (eeww)!

I use a syphon and 5 gallon bucket. I had them at work already because I also maintain a 55 gallon turtle tank and a 55 gallon community tank there. :oops: The clients really enjoy them (I work with people with developmental disabilities). :D

Picked up my 5 gal hex today. I'm gonna set it up tomorrow and start cycling through the weekend through the next week or so. I'll use the time to think about what is gonna go in there...

grass nerd said:
Picked up my 5 gal hex today. I'm gonna set it up tomorrow and start cycling through the weekend through the next week or so. I'll use the time to think about what is gonna go in there...

I don't think you need that much time.

the only that will comfortably fit in a 5 gallon tank, expecially a hex tank, is a betta.

Anything else would, IMO, be done at a squeeze, or without adequate schooling numbers, and be unfair.

steve

I am going to check it out today, they have a couple of guys that take care of it full time that are in house.

severum mama said:
I use a syphon and 5 gallon bucket. I had them at work already because I also maintain a 55 gallon turtle tank and a 55 gallon community tank there. :oops: The clients really enjoy them (I work with people with developmental disabilities). :D

Now that's what I call being prepared. I'm envisioning that you also keep your other supplies handy as well:

Office Manager: "Severum, can you empty out that top shelf...I don't think those items are business related". :wink:

Kudos to you. :)

QTOFFER said:
Nice tanks, mvigor and severum mama! (y)

How do both of you do water changes in an office environment?

Thank you. I change the water during lunch or a break. I keep a small gravel vac and a 2.5 gallon bucket in my office and there is a small kitchen sink right across the hall. I do a 40% WC in 15 minutes or so.

Of course I've also got dechlorinator, extra CF light bulbs, a few different kids of fish food, extra filter media....

Eclipse tanks

Hi everyone,

I too would like to set up an office tank for my home office. My office is in the finished off basement of our house and we have a 55 gal upstairs in the spare bedroom.

I would like to have a Betta in my office and have been eyeing the Eclipse 5 gal tanks at Petco. I'm not sure which shape I am going to get yet...I like the corner tanks and the Hex tanks. But since my basement can get a little chilly in the winter time, I will have to put a heater in the tank. Can you do heaters in the Eclipse set up when everything is in the top??

I am excited to see that you can grow plants in a 5 gal Eclipse when you change out the light bulb.

Thanks in advance! :D

yeah but do you have a window in your office O.0 lol......joking of course...... or am i?
lol but anyways there are lots of things you could do with a ten, mabe a betta some danios and a cory? or mabe tetras betta and snails there are many options!

I have an Eclipse 5 hex tank with a betta, and I have a 25 watt heater in there. If you get the hex, you'll see the cord keeper area for the light and filter cords, and there's another small hole to pass the heater cord through, so the hood can still close.

Can you post a pic or link of the heater you have? I bought a 25 watt heater once and I couldn't get it to work, and the way the dial turned was really stupid. I was kinda wondering if you had the same one, and if you do, how you adjusted the temp. :D

An t-iasg said:
I have an Eclipse 5 hex tank with a betta, and I have a 25 watt heater in there. If you get the hex, you'll see the cord keeper area for the light and filter cords, and there's another small hole to pass the heater cord through, so the hood can still close.

Oh cool! Thanks!! I'll have to run out to Petco this week...those hex aquariums are $10.00 off from their regular price!

Yes, get those Eclipse hex tanks while you can find a bargain! When I got mine, AquariumGuys.com, a sponsor, had a sale too!

severum mama, I use a VisiTherm Stealth heater in my hex tank. I used to have VisiTherm Deluxe heaters - the glass ones. The Stealth is black plastic. I have it in the back of the hex tank, under the filter/bio-wheel apparatus. If I need to adjust the temperature, I take all the hoods off, lift up the filter apparatus with one hand and try to turn the knob with the other hand. It usually doesn't turn on the first try, but it's not too hard, just awkward. The Stealth turns a little more easily than the Deluxe, but not so easily that you bump it and lose your setting. Hopefully I won't have to make an adjustment until the weather gets colder.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/visitherm15.html

Here's a link that you can see the tops of the Deluxe (pictured first) and the Stealth. You can see that on the Stealth, it's easier to see the dial from looking down on it. Although the knob can be a little tight (that's probably true of all heaters) the way the temperature dial faces upward makes it much easier to set, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom