Oh and from which continent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaPony87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I believe Im going to be scoring a 55 gallon tank off of someone this weekend, what should i stock it with? Could ppl give me wat continent theyd like to see a biotope from other than South America?

stock

Since you seem to be asking for opinions anyway, I might as well share mine... How about North America? Not too many people setting their tanks up like that these days... Just a thought. My second choice would have to be Africa, maybe lake victoria... But a north american biotope would be cool... I plan on doing something like that, maybe not such a true biotope per say but something like that... I'd like to see someone do a north american theme though, and see the pictures of it too...

Any kind of brackish set-up would be really cool. Like with mangroves and little sand islands. :)

You could also try setting up an Australian river biotope and keep many different species of rainbowfish.

The tank I'm setting up in September will be mimicking the "West/Central African River" set-up according to mongabay, and that habitat contains a lot of really cool fish (African butterflies, St. Peter's elephantnose, and the brown knife, for example). It's not really about color so much as it is about unusual shapes and qualities. In a 55g you could do Congo tetras, African butterflies, upside-down cats, and perhaps a baby whale (Pollimyrus isidori). =)

NA is often a problem because of water temperature issues (you'd need a chiller), and fish size issues. It'd be great if you could find *southern* North American fish that enjoy higher temps and don't get too large. Jordanella floridae (American Flag Fish) is one I can think of. Also, Procambarus clarkii, blue cayfish, are from the south, and are tolerant of all temperatures.

The Mongabay website is a great one. Check out their many, many great ideas.

I'm always reluctant to do a full biotope, as it's tough to find an algae eater native to a region, and it's often tougher to get all the fish you want from local dealers. You have my vote for an Australian River or New Guinea biotope. I love rainbowfish (well, not all of them; some are kinda boring...).

ASia by way of India?
you got puffers and barbs and cats and loaches for a local sampling right there..just find the compatible ones.......
loaches, glass cats, a small pretty silurfome for the bottom...I have never reseasrched it because I am koo-koo for labyrinths

Back
Top Bottom