Oh my God! I found Galaxy Rasbora(Celestial Pearl Danio) in NJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tetrajen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you are in the North Jersey area and are looking for hard to find fish. Check out http://the pet shanty.com on route 22 West. These guys are like magic. I'm setting up my twenty gallon, and I have specific desires for the fish that I will be populating. First selection was easy Rummy Nose Tetra. Common and I got them at sister store in Bayonne The Colonial House of Pets, along with some Panda Cory's, but I want some rarely seen fish. First Ember Tetra's. I have never seen them in any commercial pet stores, but one day while passing The Pet Shanty, I decided to drop in. Perusing the great selection of fish....Bam there they were. Really nice specimens. I got eight and they are doing great. The two others I really want are 1. Galaxy Rasbora/ (Celestial Pearl Danio) and Cochu's Blue Tetra's. Both very rare on the east coast. Well, I needed to get some KH/GH tester liquid this Sunday, so I took the twenty minute drive up Route 22. I always take a look at what they have. Wow. Killifish really nice orange pair. but not what I was looking for. Then up in one of the top tanks I saw a flash of a black spotted body and orange fins . NOOOO! Are you kidding me? Yes, Galaxy Rasbora's! in Scotch Plains NJ! I took the lot. Unfortunately only five, when I wanted eight, but if they get them once, they'll get them again especially since they sold out so quickly. I even told the store attendant how shocked I am whenever I come in "You always have what I'm looking for." then added. "If you get in Cochu's Blue Tetra I'll really be impressed." Wink wink nudge nudge say no more.
Anyway they are loving the Embers, and are schooling with them. Their colors are deepening, so they are digging the set up. Overall, It's been a really good day.

The one in the attached picture. It's mine. Took awhile to get a good picture, but worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 165
Yeah i also live in nj

My brother bought several galaxy rasboras at a store called elys aquatic farm

http://www.elysfish.com/

The store has been in the family since the 60's and the current owner is great!
He knows everything there is too know since he has worked at the store since he was a kid
Really extensive inventory
Even stingrays!

But yes ever since i found out about this place i have get my fish and supplies from him

And i think i have been to the store you are talking about so ill check out the link

Mating dance already?

Thanks Blue Lobster,

I will definitely check it out. I love privately owned aquarium stores. Prices are higher, but selection is so great. I was observing my tank today, and witnessed my Galaxies doing a breeding dance. I was shocked. They've only been in the tank for five days. I was so shocked, happy, worried, etc. There is nothing I can do right now. If they breed they breed. I haven't finished my twenty, so they are hanging out in my ten which will become a breeding tank once the fish have moved. I also think that some of my Embers are carrying eggs. A few are really getting fat. All I can say is, I must be doing something right.

Yeah forgot to mention, yesterday my bro picked up 6 galaxies (at elys) for his new tank!

The guys are pretty little but the coloration is very impressive

Amen! I too love privately owned fish shops
I find the people there are all around more friendly and tend to be far more knowledgable
Like I said at elys it's really a one man show and the guy there knows EVERYTHING lol
Another reason I like local/family owned pet stores is because the majority of them are disease and parasite free
And elys actually breed the majority of the fish there

I know I'm kinda rambling on and on about this place but it really is amazing
Another good option is the local pets hop in Madison where the people are both friendly and knowledgeable but obviously not as well socked as places like elys who focus on exotic fish and not other pets

That is so cool!

I've already decided to check it out tomorrow. I'm looking for three more Galaxies and two more Panda Cory, but I want them to be small. The two Panda's I currently have are only an inch and the ones I've seen in my local are all huge.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom