Oh no! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamchris

Aquarium Advice Regular
My best friend just came over and gave me a Valentine's Day present...I don't why, since we're just friends, and it was a very nice thought, but she got me a red betta in a small vase :( I don't know what to do! I can't put it in my 36 gal because my gouramis will probably eat it up (or vice versa). Do you think I should give it a try to see how they get along? I really don't want to do these daily/every other day water changes, and poor betta...it must be like 40 ounces of water...

Eeek I understand your dilemma. If you do decide to try it keep a very close eye on the betta and the other fish. Your other option is to get a cheap 5 gal for the betta. The thought is lovely but I agree it isn't the best for the betta.

How long do you think it would take to be able to see any potential problems? If they get along for 15 mins, would it be safe to assume that things are relatively safe?

And great, I just realized that now I can't let my roommate's cat in the room. She's fine around the bigger tank, but I'm watching her staring intently from 6 inches away at Valentine...In the beginning, she tried to stick her head in the vase, but I covered it with my hand for a few minutes, and now she just seems to be staring with interest...but I still don't trust her...

*sigh*

If you have a bigger container you can keep it in temporarily, you could transfer it into that. If you can afford it, get the 5 gallon and a small heater and a little sponge filter for the betta and he will be quite happy. Good luck.
You can also get a tank divider if you cant get the 5g right away.

Unless you can find a small heated tank, like a 5gal or a 6cal Eclipse (Walmart has cheap knockoffs of the Eclipse) then I would respectfully return the fish to the gift-giver, stating that your cat came this close to snatching it up for a snack (even if that is an exaggeration). I do not think it will work out at all in your 36.

This would also alert your friend that buying animals for people is not always a great idea, but since you can blame it on the cat you won't come across as insensitive.

you could try putting the vase next to the tank (if the fish on both sides can see each other) and see if anybody shows signs of aggression. after a day if everybody's peaceful, try putting the betta in with the others and watch.

i know that if i put anything in my betta's tank that he doesn't like, he's on it in 5 seconds flat. yours might be calmer, but generally bettas aren't good with other gouramis.

Sweet thought. She knows you like fish, thought that a Betta was OK because it could live in a small bowel by itself. Common mistake. If she is your best friend then you should be able to suggest to her that you'd like to return the fish and get something that would work in your current setup. Let her go along to help pick out a new fish. Best of luck!

Wouldn't that stress it out though from being right next to the gouramis? I mean, if he's constantly flaring at them I would imagine it would be so...

Unfortunately, that's not really an option. I am a college student living in an apartment, and although there would probably be room, it would just be too much to take care of in addition to the 36 gallon tank. Also, there is the issue of moving at the end of the year. It's already going to be a PITA, and I'd like to minimize the pain :) Plus, I can't really afford another tank. I think I'll be taking Rondory's and TankGirl's ideas and combining them :) Cat likes to eat fish, so let's get a new one that I can put in the big tank. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they were a huge help and made things a lot easier for me :) I can always count on you guys and girls!

Just bring the fish to LFS and tell your friend your fish killed it and after reading you now know that they were incompatible.

In the process your friend learns about fish keeping and won't buy you another unless you don't explain yourself right. The fish gets another chance with a new owner and your friend is nune the wiser.

She must be cute!

Good luck

Well, I was about to go return Valentine to Petco, but I didn't feel like waiting for my car to warm up. So I took the gamble and gave Valentine a chance with my 2 gouramis 12 serpae tetras, black moor, amano shrimp and 2 botia loaches. Of course, my main worry was the gouramis. I must have gotten a defective betta, because he's pretty darn docile. When the gouramis look him in the eye, he flares at them until they go away, but no attacks. My gourami that normally gets chased by the other nipped him twice though. But that was since last night, so I'd say I'm pretty safe in keeping him in the tank. What are the chances :)

iamchris said:
Well, I was about to go return Valentine to Petco, but I didn't feel like waiting for my car to warm up. So I took the gamble and gave Valentine a chance with my 2 gouramis 12 serpae tetras, black moor, amano shrimp and 2 botia loaches. Of course, my main worry was the gouramis. I must have gotten a defective betta, because he's pretty darn docile. When the gouramis look him in the eye, he flares at them until they go away, but no attacks. My gourami that normally gets chased by the other nipped him twice though. But that was since last night, so I'd say I'm pretty safe in keeping him in the tank. What are the chances :)

Put a camera on them....curious..... if both gouramis were female... would it matter?

I have both a male and female betta with 2 irridecent gouramis for over a year and never had any problems with any of them. You have a big tank, maybe just add a few extra plants or rocks for hiding if it is necessary.
Good luck.

I don't think the gouramis are female, as there seems to be a dominant onethat always goes after the other. The neon blue dwarf has staked out his territory, but apparently the flame dwarf has yet to learn the boundaries...I'm no expert, but I've just assumed they were both male. The betta doesn't seem to care at all about the serpae at all, so thank god for that :) I've come to the conclusion that he's defective :p

Back
Top Bottom