Oh no... I ordered a Peacock Gudgeon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read up on Peacock Gudgeons (I thought) and then ordered one along with some Oryzins Woworae and Honey Gouramis today. THEN...after I'd ordered, I saw a thread that claimed that gudgeons will eat Fork-tail rainbows and spotted rainbows, and I'm assuming, rice fish too.

My 20 gallon contains
7 fork-tail rainbows
2 Gertrudae rainbows
1 GBR

My 10 gallon contains

3 Norman's Lamp Eye killies
1 endler
1 GBR

Now, in the thread I read a lot of people said they'd had trouble with gudgeons. Other threads that I'd read previously said Peacock gudgeons are very peaceful and don't bother anyone. I thought I'd researched! So, what tank can I safely put the gudgeon in? The 2 Gouramis were going to go one in each tank (since I know gouramis can be aggressive together). Can I safely do this?

20 gallon

Fork-tail rainbows
Gertrudae rainbows
rice fish
GBR endler
killies
Honey Gourami

10 gallon

Honey Gourami
GBR
Peacock Gudgeon

I know this would overstock the 20 gallon a bit, but I don't want the gudgeon attacking the little fish!

I've never heard that. They might be territorial but I have never observed any predatory behavior.

They won't bother your fish. Had one in a nano community with no problems. They did eat a lot of the baby cherry shrimp.

Oh, you guys have really made me feel better! Thanks so much! I was freaking out, wondering where I'd put it. I have a 55, but didn't want to put it in there, as the tank has had columnaris issues, and I am not adding any new fish in there, as it wouldn't be fair to expose a fish to it. The ones that are currently in there will just have to live out their lives, and then I can break down that tank and start over. I just can't bring myself to euthanize all the fish in there that are currently acting healthy. Now I can rest easy! Thanks again, so much.

My gudgeons were very timid. Probably will hide a lot. My smaller one disappeared and I assumed it was dead. Even did a full tank breakdown where I changed the substrate from gravel to sand. Took everything out to clean and never saw him. Then one day he randomly reappeared. Must have been wedged in driftwood when I broke tank down.

There are quite a few different gudgeons in the market, I imagine they may have meant one of the larger more predatory ones like purples spotted

Considering peacock gudgeons are the same size or smaller than what you already have, I think where you read that information needs to correct it. They will eat their own fry, and I wouldn't suggest them with shrimp, but with other fish they are fine.

Yes, one of the most placid gudgeons going - and one of the prettiest. Be aware that they are expert jumpers, so make sure the tank is well covered.

Yes, exactly, Dragon. I wondered how a fish that is as small or smaller than what I have could be that much of a threat, but I DID read warnings about them, and the subject was Peacocks, not another type of gudgeon. That they were nippers. Wow, so they are really good hiders? I wonder if I should have two, and maybe it would make them less nervous? I only ordered one, as I don't know if I'll like them or not. But the more I think about it, it seems one might feel lonely with no others of it's kind. I'll wait and see what happens--I should be getting it either Tues. or Wed. of next week.

Funny story, I bought a Cherry barb, and she just disappeared when I released her into my 55 gallon. Didn't see her again. I could have SWORN she was released with the other two I'd gotten that day, I'm very careful about that. I had visions of me putting the bag in the trash with the fish still in it, but when I looked, no fish in bag. That fish did not reappear until two months later! One day, there she was, and I was really shocked. I got a male Cherry barb right away, as I suppose she was hiding really well because there were no other Cherries in the tank. After that, she was out almost all the time.

And yes, Tony, I did read what good jumpers they are. It will be in my 20 gallon, which has a lid. I'm glad I found out about the jumping, because my 10 gallon doesn't have a lid. I feel so much better now. Also, if you have an excellent jumper, how do you safely do water changes? I've yet to have a fish jump out during water changes, and I have some killies, which I know are also good jumpers. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Back
Top Bottom