Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I am cycling a 5 gallon and put safe start in (it said up to 15 gallons) to help with the nitrate and ammonia spikes. Now about 5 days later there is an oily substance on the surface what is it and what should I do? Could it be because I over dosed the safe start? Help!

Attachments

• image-1380870631.jpg
    image-1380870631.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 84
That is called a protein layer and what causes it is not having enough surface movement. If you have an HOB filter drop your water level enough so the outflow drops like a waterfall into the tank breaking the surface of the water. It doesn't have to fall far just enough that it is falling into the water. Laying paper towels on the surface will help remove it but without enough current at the surface the film will come back.

There is some reason that can happen in the beginning.

I got this oily film in my aquarium when I started it, because I did not rinsed everything before put water in the tank. Oil is often used in aquarium glass construction process... You must rinse everything before you put water.

In my case, the dechlorinator I use is making an oily film at the surface.

Has Rivercats said, it can be caused by a lack of surface agitation.
If surface agitation not solve the problem, if you have a canister filter you might want to add a surface skimmer in the input. (Low cost and effective)

A technique I do that work pretty well is to stop filter, wait 5 min, take a paper towel, and slide it from one side to the other, that should remove a part of the viscous film. Repeat if necessary.

I hope it helped

Hey guys had this on my filter for less than a week and found this on the filter what is it

Attachments

• image-3312688834.jpg
    image-3312688834.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 56
And this is around my filter

Attachments

• image-84586628.jpg
    image-84586628.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 49
The second one looks like a soapy substance is it marine or freshwater ?

Back
Top Bottom