Oil slick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The surface of my 125 looks like it has oil in it. Anyone know whats up and how to get rid of it?

It is probably the oils from you skin... If you have more surface agitation you won't notice the oil slick.

The surface of my 125 looks like it has oil in it. Anyone know whats up and how to get rid of it?
Could be from the food you are feeding. Also be careful if you use aerosols in the room with the tank. These can get into the water. Most likely the food though. Good surface agitation should remove/reduce it. If it's quite bad, get some paper towel and place it flat on the water and remove it quickly. This should help......

Is it planted? Often planted tanks can develop a protein layer in top without enough surface agitation. This is possible in non-planted tanks also, but I've heard of more people bringing it up with planted. Just adjust your filter or airstone to give yourself more agitation across all of your tank :)

The slick is most likely protein residue. Are you using HOB filters? Normally the surface agitation from them will keep it in check. If your not using HOB filters, you might have to install a surface skimmer.

Thanks for all the replies! I have a penguin 350 hob, and a fluval fx5 with both the outtakes pointed upward for surface agitation and it still isnt going away! Its quite a stubborn protein film! I'm feeding brine shrimp, NLS, and Dainichi. The tank isnt planted, and there is only 7 africans and a bn plec in it at the moment. Does this info help?

Back
Top Bottom