oily film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TuscBear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had aquariums all my life since i was a child. I currently have a 125g saltwater reef. 75g fresh water community tank. 29g breeder community tank. 6g fluval fresh water and a 60g hex fresh water, in which im getting ready to add Discus too. My question is.... does anyone know why i would have a oily film on the surface of my discus tank and if so what can i do about it. Thanks Concerned.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130307_031056.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_031056.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 70
Its natural. part of the waste from your fish. Increase water flow/surface agitation, or, if you want to keep it low-flow add a surface skimmer (not the same as a SW protein skimmer)

I have same issue in my 5 gallon betta tank, but I can't increase the water flow because they like still waters. I have a heater and a filter in the tank. Do I just let it go? I was thinking the oily film was bad because I have a screen on the top of my tank. The original top of the tank had a light, but the light no longer works, and the original top wasn't letting in any light.
gail

:confused:

It's also pretty normal in new tank setups to have an oily film even though you have normal surface agitation. It's probably the result of an insufficient heterotrophic bacteria population that eventually self corrects. In the mean time, you can buy a surface skimmer, but what I always did was take a single sheet of plain, unscented paper towel, dip the entire thing under water, and slowly pull it out by the corners. A lot of the scum will come out with it.

fantastic idea, I took a water glass and tried to get it out (LOL). Didn't work too well. I'll try the paper towel trick.

thanks so much for your help.
gail

:ermm: (send warm weather)

Back
Top Bottom