oily film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
On my African tank i have a oily film on the service of the water

What is it

It's a layer of proteins, if you have enough surface agitation it will go away, or a paper towel will soak it up, but it will probably come back

Yup, i think it just makes oxygen exchange a little harder, but i could be wrong. Surface agitation gets rid of it. I just installed a powerhead on my 125 and its gone.

I have it on my tank occasionally. It comes and goes. Looks kind of oily and breaks up into chunks almost when you break the surface right?

Take a look at a surface skimmer. They are made solely to get rid of the bio film that forms on the surface of the water. Plus they are dirt cheap.

Yep, surface agitation will help with this and the surface skimmer sounds like a permanent fix (seen it at the LFS but have not tried it).

One quick fix you could try is taking a sheet of paper towel and place it one the surface and promptly remove it. The surface film should cling to the paper towel. Not a permanent fix but should help break the surface tension a bit.

Back
Top Bottom